Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    tigalig Guest

Default Do you spell in front of your toddler?

We must be doing this alot because ds began calling out letters, "M-I-T-K-L-S" at Target yesterday. It took me a while to realize what he was doing. Poor dear. Perhaps I should wait until he is out of our presence to discuss certain things - now he thinks spelling is a way of speaking!? Does anyone else do this? Am I rude for spelling in his presence?

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Do you spell in front of your toddler?

We do it sometimes, mostly for food or drink that we don't want to offer her. My mom gave her some Sprite a few weeks ago, and now she asks for "bubbles" all the time. So, we are spelling "Sprite" and "bubbles," as well as "ice cream" sometimes (as in, "Do you want to have some i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m after you-know-who goes to bed?"). We don't mind her having ice cream, but she is a big mooch, and I don't like to share!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

younhiekim Guest

I totally spell. I don't think it's rude; there are just times when I can't leave Zara alone to discuss to my DH something I don't want her to hear. And truthfully, I usually spell things when it's something I'm not too sure that Zara should or could have; for example, when I ask if DH could take Zara to the p-o-o-l (she knows this word, and if DH couldn't, then she'd just freak out) or if she should have i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m for dessert. Honestly, I'm waiting for when she can comprehend what we're saying, even when we're spelling! Then I'll be in trouble.

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

>We don't mind her having
    >ice cream, but she is a big mooch, and I don't like to share!

LOL, Lucy! I am not joking when I say that this was my single biggest fear about motherhood: sharing my food. I've gotten better, but I'm still not very good about it, LOL!

And FWIW, we spell some words, like C-A-R and C-O-O-K-I-E. It makes life easier!

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm a speller too. But what's even funnier is that sometimes I spell incorrectly. Then DH gives me a funny look like "huh?" LOL!

~ deb
    DS 12/03
    And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i think i spell too much cause one night i kept spelling c-o-o-k-i-e and dh kept asking "what" because i was spelling really fast and it was running together and after like the fourth time spelling it ds turned to him and said "cookie". my ds can also count to 10 really well because dh gives him to the count of 10 befor he gets in trouble. my mom says that my ds will be able to spell every bad word by kindergarten :P i think i should get a new system!
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

We spell some things but it only works for so long! One night on the way home from eating out DH mentions going to the P-A-R-K and DS pipes up from the back "I want to go the P-A-R-K! I want to go to the P-A-R-K!" So much for trying to keep that one from him! Now, as we're making plans we talk about going to the K-R-A-P and DS hasn't figured that one out yet! I know he'll figure out P-O-O-L and C-O-O-K-I-E any time now!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

LOL. We spell, too. We try not to do it too often, but I think it's better than whatever it is that we are trying not to say.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm the same way, Jill! We went out for ice cream the other night, and I was thrilled to learn that the place (Bruster's) gives free kiddie cups or cones to children under a certain height! No mooching that night! :-)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

We spell too, but we are too lazy to spell out all of ice cream. In our house it's "i-c-e"

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast