Thread: Sell vs. Keep

Default Sell vs. Keep

DD just turned 1 year and we have decided to wait until she's 2 to start TTC. That means that all the stuff she's grown out of is going to have to be moved when we relocate to AZ next year. So now we're not sure if we should sell it or leave it for #2? this is what we talked about keeping/selling and i'm sure we're missing stuff but here it is:

keeping:
    almeda pump/accessories
    all clothes
    small toys
    stroller/infant car seat (combi ts/combi tyro)
    pnp
    play mat
    high chair (still using it)
    diaper dekor (still using it)
    ikea changing table - not sure what to do with this since she's already outgrown it and it was like $20

selling:
    big swing
    travel swing
    bouncer
    fisher price jumperoo
    euro bathtub

TIA!

K
    DD#1 05/09

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Sell vs. Keep

DD's 2.5 and we've been ttc for a while but nothing yet. I'm way too cheap to get rid of all of our baby stuff! It drives DH nuts and he wants to get rid of loads of it, I haven't even got rid of any of DDs clothes in case we have another girl! We also are moving, next month but DH is military so they will pay to move it all, I don't know what I'd do if we had to pay in weight, maybe get rid of the heavy stuff, but prob not.

Phoebe Guest

I would only keep the clothes and toys you love. With the big gear like the stroller and car seat, remember that they come out with new fancier stuff every year, so you may not like yours a couple years from now. Although, the stroller and car seat will probably be in constant use until the new baby comes along.

Mary
    DD 4/01
    DS 6/03

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would sell anything you didn't love, keep what you liked.

ETA: ITA about the stroller and car seat...unless you really loved them or they were a Britax.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

I've sold all of our clothes that I didn't love or still had tags on it. I figured that if they had tags, I wouldn't bother putting it on the next child either. I sold extra equipment that I was given. I sold my useless pump and am planning on getting an Isis next time. I also sold my infant car seat, since I figured that it would be outdated by the time I had another one. I kept my strollers b/c I like them all.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

Although I'm hoarding everything in my basement in case we have a second child, I agree that you should keep the things you love and get rid of the other stuff. I know there are outfits in the basement that I wouldn't put on a second child because I didn't really like them the first time around. Same thing with toys. I think I disagree about selling both swings, the bouncer and the euro bath, though. Swings are expensive, they really are not that improved over time (generally just the pattern changes or you can play even more songs) and babies seem to like them. Same thing with the bouncer. I couldn't have survived without ours. Alright, that's an overstatement, but DS absolutely loved his and it was the only way to get him to sleep when not in my arms. If you didn't like the Euro Bath, then sell it. But if you are planning on using it again, it seems silly to sell it and then buy another one.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I agree. I have loads of boxes down in the basement and I know leafing through and throwing away is going to be a task. I couldn't part with lots of DS's newborn stuff but I doubt I'd reuse most of it. At this point, I have an easier time selling or donating. I sold the infant seat because hated the one I chose. I sold 2 strollers. I sold a few toys. Most is packed away gathering dust!

Jenn
    DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

thanks everyone. this gives me something to think about. I do love all my stuff that I have for DD excpet the bouncer because she never used it but DH is the one that wants to purge...maybe i can convince him otherwise...:)
    K
    DD#1 05/09

If you are willing to buy used, I have noticed that some things like swings and exersaucers are often in the classied ads. Regular infant bath tubs are often at garsage sales or secondhand shops. I plan to (so she says!) sell or give away those items once #2 is done with them since it's 50-50 whether we would have a third child.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9