Default What to do to prepare for preschool?

I signed up DD for preschool starting in Sept. It's a few days a week for a few hours in the morning at a local church. I was worried that DD would be too young for it (she'll be turning 2 right around then) but I think she'll like it. If we're home for very long, she begs me to go out--park, walking, supermarket, Target, library...apparently anywhere is better than her toy-filled house.

Anyway, is there anything I should do over the summer to prepare her? She's very slow warming up to new things. She goes to the drop-in day care at my gym for about 30-45 minutes at a time. Otherwise, she's always with me or DH.

Also, my DD wakes up really early (usually 6-6:30am) regardless of bedtime which right now translates to her clamoring for her nap around 11am. I can usually hold her off for maybe 20-30 minutes but after that she just cries and acts like she's beyond exhausted. She'll sleep anywhere between 1.5 and 3 hours. I'm worried she won't like school because it runs until noon and she'll be all cranky part way through the morning. I know toddlers in day care adjust to having one naptime with their peers. I'm hoping DD can adjust her nap similarly when school starts because nothing I am doing now is resulting in a later nap. Any insight?

TIA

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: What to do to prepare for preschool?

DS goes to daycare not preschool, but he has adjusted readily to different nap schedules at the different daycares he has gone to (3 total) vs. napping at home. Once your DD gets playing with the other kids she probably won't want to take a nap! As for preparing her otherwise I don't have any advice, I haven't had a problem with DS adjusting quickly (within a few days) to new (daycare) situations.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Default RE: What to do to prepare for preschool?

My daughter entered a 2.5 year old preschool class that was having trouble (as a class) because so many of the children were unprepared for being without their parents. The teachers suggested things like making sure your child has some exposure to being left by parents and cared for by others (like your exerciseclass, a church nursery/sunday school, visiting a neighborhood family without you, or having an occasional babysitter.)

I'm also thinking it might help to familiarize your child with someone else changing her diaper or helping her with the potty, although you might have to settle for verbal preparation there.

My DD has had a bit of trouble following rulesm like picking up toys when you're done, so I wish I'd implemented that at home sooner. You could also practice sitting in a circle for storytime by going to library storytimes. If she is shy, you might have her practice simple social phrases, "Want to play?" or "I want a turn" or "It's my turn now" or (to an adult) "I need help."

My DD lovespreschool and it's a pleasure to watch her develop there. Both of you will enjoy it.

BTW, I have alwaysloved your DD's name when I'veseen your posts.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9