Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    phirey Guest

Default DD freaks out about toenails being cut

I have been the fingernail/toenail cutter in the house since DD was born -- DH has never tried. Of course as a baby it wasn't an issue -- but for about a year now DD has completely freaked out every time I even ask to cut her toenails. I bribe her with painting them, try it when sleepy, when awake, try it with treats, etc. She makes it a real challenge because she kicks, rotates her ankles and scrunches and unscrunches her toes all at the same time. Talk about a moving target. We've tried talking it out to let her know it won't be hard if she'll sit still, which helps a little but not much.

She swears I'm hurting her but in 2.5 years I've never cut her. I'm sure it can't be totally comfortable if she's wiggling that much. FWIW she willingly lets me cut her fingernails.

Anybody else with this problem?

Thanks,

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: DD freaks out about toenails being cut

Yes! DD will not let me cut her toenails at all. Fingernails are OK but she swears it hurts her toes and she cries and squirms and makes it impossible. I've tried to just tear off a bit of nail or do it while she's asleep.

We have problems trimming both fingernails and toenails. I think it tickles his feet and makes him squirm (although he also says it hurts). I've had the most luck trimming them when he's entranced with watching a show on TV. Occasionally DH or I will trim ours to try to get him "in the mood." Sometimes we bribe him "Do you want a cookie? Then you have to let Mommy trim your nails."

Interestingly, there was a period where I absolutely couldn't trim them (because he resisted too much). A couple of the toenails got long and broke. I pointed out how the nail was jagged, etc. and that seemed to really concern DS and he let me trim them all with no problem. So, maybe you can find a problem that needs fixed. :)
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

barbarhow Guest

We have the same problem. We tell Jack his toenails look like Howard Hughes. It takes 2 of us to hold him down to trim them. Yikes. Fingernails are usually okay.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Brig says it hurts as well- even before I touch his toes. I remember being the same way when I was little.
    It takes two.

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Would she let you file them? I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm grasping...

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

Right there with you. He'll finally let me do his finger nails (all the while saying, "Almost done! Almost done!" in a whimpering voice), but it's a no go on the toe nails. We've tried everything...I've resorted to just clipping whichever one's are realllllly long.
    Alaina
    Alex 2-4-03

ELTAZ Guest

You can't sneak in when she's asleep? That's what I do when I'm meeting a lot of resistence. My dd says it tickles, and keeps saying "all done"!

-Elizabeth

Why don't you give her a set of clippers while you have your yours and have her do a pretend pedicure on a doll or something. Ryan doesn't like his toenails to be cut either but he is very into holding his own clippers and doing them himself and then mommy will "double check" his work. Margot is older than Ryan so I don't know if these tricks work with a big girl!

What about taking her to a kids place that does pedicures/manicures and have her watch? I know they do it at pigtails and crewcuts here. I remember seeing it on the menu of services when we took Ryan for a haircut and I thought it was adorable.

Hope you are feeling well. :)
    Mom to R and R

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We do this too. Sarah likes to hold her Daddy's clippers while we cut her toenails with her clippers. She still squirms some, but it has helped a lot. I used to be able to catch her while she was engrossed in a TV show, but that doesn't work well anymore.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast