Default I'm about to fricken' lose my mind!!!

This child woke up again. DH was supposed to get up with her this time but all he did was bring her into bed. Then he moved her back into her room and she wouldn't go to sleep. Then he got pissey saying that this was the worst night for her to do this. Yeah I'm sure she's trying to do this on purpose. So I go in her room, change her diaper, and we go downstairs. I then root around in her mouth to see if she's teething. It feels like her bottom left molar is coming in. Will this child take medicine? Heck no! She screams, thrashes and go nuts. I've tried meltaways too. Plus she doesn't act tired when she wakes up. She acts like a lunatic, pointing to our body parts and identifying them. Aaaarrgh!

Anyway the point of this post was too see if any other parents had to deal with their 2 year olds not taking medicine and see if there is any advice.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: I'm about to fricken' lose my mind!!!

We're in the same boat sleepwise but my DS will take medicine. We use a large medicine dropper and basically jam it in there. Braden has been waking up every night for the past two weeks. He screams and screams and then we put him in bed with us. It's the same deal. He points to our noses and says nose, pokes us in the eye, etc. He definitely seems wide awake at these times. We're close to losing our minds too.

Jenn
    DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Get one of those medicine syringes. Have Mike hold her down or vice versa and get it in her mouth. Matthew is pretty good about taking medicine but when he was sick and on the antibiotics that gave him terrible diaper rash & frequent bms, he refused to take it. I don't blame him but he really needed to have it. So we shoved it in his mouth and he got most of it down. The rest landed on his pjs but it was better than nothing!

Sorry Miss Martie is giving you so much trouble.... :(
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kai won't take medicine when he is upset or if he has woken up suring the night. He is just irritational and difficult then. But most of the time he takes it very happily.

How about Hyland's Teething Tablets, and tell her it's candy? :) Kai is getting in a molar as well, and so far we have only done Teething Tablets to help him get to sleep, and he hasn't needed Motrin yet. He drinks Motrin from the cup, and he loves it. he's suspicious of the dropper.

Sorry you are having trouble. it seems as though all the 2 year olds in my playgroup have recently gone crazy and won't sleep. Mine is sleeping, but he's back in our bed.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

She won't take her beloved tooth pills. I think I need to bribe her to take it. This afternoon I promised her a popsicle. She took it. Tonight I might have to bust out the unused potty training hershey kisses bribe candy.

-Sonia

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I posted a while ago about being worried that DD is a junkie, asking for 2 pink ones (tylenol chewables) and 2 white ones (hylands) every night before bed saying her teeth hurt, even after the molars seemed to have come in!! So she's quite happy to take medicine!! Sorry you're having probs, have you tried the orange motrin with a syringe? Tastes better than tylenol and you can squirt it right in.

bluej Guest

Good to hear Ryden isn't the only medicine junkie! Dimatapp is his favorite med. I stupidly would say, 'you have a runny nose, you need some Dimatapp.' Then when his allergies cleared up he would keep wiping his nose and say 'nose, tapp' in hopes that he would get some medicine.

hmmm i'll have to get dimatapp in the future.

Last night martie happily took her "tooth pills" and then after the promise of chocolate she gladly took her motrin. I had a glorious night of sleeping! DH claims she slept well b/c we put socks on her. I think it was the medicine bud!

-Sonia

bluej Guest

LOL, socks! I'm sure they did wonders for her teething :) I'm glad Martie took her medicine without a battle and that everyone had a great nights sleep!