Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Phoebe Guest

Default RE: Moms of two -- what do you drive?

I drove a Volvo station wagon until my son was about 4 months old. Then we bought a van - toyota sienna. I loved the volvo wagon when I had just one child, but once there were two car seats in there, I kept hitting my head on the door jamb and the RF infant seat prevented the passenger front seat from moving back.

If we had decided against the van, I would have liked a VW Passat.

Mary
    DD 4/01
    DS 6/03

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sorry to be off-topic, but how hard was it to get both seats side by side in the Volvo? I attempted it once, but thought it was impossible, so quickly abandon it. I would really like to do this, however, if you have any tips. We have a FF and RF MA.

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

Default Avalon info

My in-laws Avalon has a very big back seat. They've had a Snugride rearfacing and a RA rearfacing when my SIL and baby were in town and there was still plenty of room for the front seat passengers. I think there is a front bench seat in their Avalon (2003 or 2004 model) and I think my SIL was able to sit between the carseats. It is quite a bit bigger than an Accord. And they seem to depreciate quite a bit at first, so you might be able to get a good deal on a late model/almost new one. Good luck.

I love these threads since we are going to have to get a bigger car in the future, my Volvo S60 fits me and rearfacing son fine, but a passenger is a little tight. I would like a bigger sedan versus wagon (so stroller and junk doesn't become a projectile in event of accident) but I am also really liking the Pilot. But we have my husband's Trooper for snow, etc. and taking the dogs. It is very comfortable with tons of room but gets terrible mileage and doesn't have side air bags.

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04

vikivoly Guest

Another Honda Pilot lover here! :) I highly recommend it. We do have one seat FF and one RF. We have the RF seat on the passenger side because DH needs more room to drive.

mattiew Guest

My neighbor has a Volvo Cross Country w/2 car seats; I'm pretty sure she has the rearfacing behind the passenger and the forward facing behind the driver.

On occasion I have had 2 in my Nissan Altima; forward facing behind the drive and one behind the passenger.

Good luck!
    Carrie

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I drive a Subaru Outback Legacy. My ds has a Britax Super Elite and is behind the passneger. My dd has a Britax Roundabout and is in the middle. We were able to use the middle position both rear and forward facing.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Jessica,

How did you get the RA into the middle--and how can you put the two next to each other? What year is your Outback? Ours is a 2002 and the middle has such a narrow hump that we couldn't ever get the RA to fit right. Placed on the side, it still takes up so much of the middle space that there is no way we can put another car seat in the middle.

What is your secret???

TIA,
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

Grand Prix- DD behind passenger, DS rear facing behind driver- But I am the only one who can drive since dh can't get his seat back far enough. The trunk is big enough for all my stuff- but if your looking @ double strollers- not all will fit.

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am not sure what year it is maybe a 2000? We had it installed by the Sheriff's office so I am not exactly sure what they did. I know that they used a noodle when it was rear facing.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

lukkykatt Guest

I have a Passat wagon, and it works fine with 2. I have a RA and an MA, both in the outboard positions, facing forward (but the RA used to be rear facing). I just got a Strollee McKinnley (now taken over by Combi with a new name) booster seat for the middle rear seat - it is a very narrow booster that one of our CS techs told me about. We are getting into the occasional carpooling situations now, so we will be using this next week to take one of DS' friends to camp with us. DH and I also did not want a minivan, and figured we could always rent one if we were going on a long trip and needed the storage - my car is a 2002 and we have never needed to do this.

Something else I would look into if I was buying now is a Volvo station wagon - they have the rear facing seats in the back that a toddler can sit on (again for the occasional carpooling situation). Also, I believe I heard that Toyota will be making a hybrid Highlander, but I don't know when that will be coming out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast