tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Tell me about your first trip away from home with your baby...

Specifically, how did your DC sleep?

DH and I have never been away from home with DD. She's almost 19 months old and slept at home every night of her life. Well, we've finally gotten brave enough to take a vacation and although we're excited, we're nervous about how sleep's going to work out. We're renting a house a couple hours away for a few days and have a Pack & Play, although we might rent a crib just so we can attach her aquarium and music box that she uses every night to go to sleep. Her bedtime's between 7-8. We're totally willing to bring her into our bed, but we don't want to be in bed by 8 every night.

I'm sure it'll all work out somehow and we'll have a great time. Just wondering if anyone has any tips to share?
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

amp Guest

Default RE: Tell me about your first trip away from home with your baby...

Well, we've traveled a number of times w/ DS, the first time being when he was about 3 mths old, so our experience may not be applicable to your experience, as by the time he was your DD's age, he'd traveled several times. I would not say we are seasoned travelers, but we have taken probably 10 different trips, from a week long trip to just an overnight trip.

DS sleeps in the PNP every time. We make sure we bring his own sheet (even if we use a hotel PNP, although we often bring out own). We also bring his blanket (or whatever lovey is comfortable for him) and we try to stick somewhat to our bedtime routine. I will say that bedtime is never quite as easy as at home, because the scenery and schedule are different. It sometimes takes us longer to get him to bed, or we end up turning out all the lights and going to bed early too. It isn't always easy. But once he falls asleep, he sleeps just fine.

My best recommendation is to try to make it seem as normal as possible, but also understand that going to sleep in a strange place can be unnerving, if not scary too. So have some patience for that, but be firm in the fact that it's bedtime. We've been known to bring DS to bed w/ us temporarily when he is having trouble getting to sleep in the PNP, but it never results in sleeping. We have to keep sayiing, "It's time to go to sleep. This isn't playtime. You can lie down w/ mommy and daddy, but you have to stay in bed and not run around." Eventually he wears himself out and can go to sleep in his PNP.

I know, I haven't done much but contradict myself...consistency, but let her have some leeway. Anyway, just wing it. Be prepared w/ lovey's or comfort items, normal routine and some patience. Hopefully it will work out just fine. It usually does for us, and the the first night is usually the hardest. After that it's more familiar.

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Tell me about your first trip away from home with your baby...

When we traveled with Matthew the first time I thought I would lose my mind. He was 9 months old at the time and was completely wired about sleeping in the pack and play.

At 14 months, we tried again. Since that time things are basically routine for any new place (visiting grandma is not the same, even if it's the same PNP). The deal is that the first night we have chaos. We have come to accept that as part of the package. ;)

What generally happens is that he cries awfully the first night. He is usually a great sleeper, going to bed about the same time as your DD. Eventually he settles himself down and falls asleep.

We have learned just exactly what you suspect, that it's hard to do anything at 8:00 pm if your baby's down in a regular hotel room. You sit in the dark until she falls asleep and then you can't do much! For us, anyway, two room suites became really necessary. We set up the PNP in the "living" room and then grab some drinks, snacks, and settle on the bed with the TV remote. We watch TV with the volume really low until we conk out. Not exciting night life, but the way most rooms are constructed we'd have to go past DS to get to the door to go out if one of us wanted to, so he'd wake up.

I would do whatever you could to bring her trusty blankie and comfort items with you, and keep to the nap/eating schedule as much as possible so that she knows what to expect and isn't so frightened of the changes. And just assume that the first night she'll cry more than usual. During the day, though, have fun!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!