tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default First time with diarrhea...tips on what to do?

DD has had it for 2 days now, so far just one blowout a day, and other than being pretty clingy, she's happy. She's never had this before though so I need a little refresher on what I'm supposed to do. Do I do the BRAT diet? Should she not have any dairy? We're trying to get her to drink Pedialyte but she's not a big fan. She hasn't been eating much in general these days but we think that's due to molars or just being a toddler.

If this goes for another day, I'll call the ped, but is there anything I'm forgetting in the meantime?

This can't be due to the fact that she held her poop in all day long Saturday, could it? (See Toddler not pooping in public post below)
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: First time with diarrhea...tips on what to do?

I'm not sure if it's related, but after my DD didn't poop for many days (like nearly a week), she had several loose diapers for the next couple of days. She seemed to feel fine, so I just watched her and tried to give her bland foods until she had a normal stool. I hope your DD feels better soon!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

tigalig Guest

We have alot of experience in this area. BRAT diet is what the ped. always recommends, although I'm beginning to suspect that bananas might make it worse, if that's possible! The main concern is dehydration and if it lasts longer than a day, I'm calling the dr. HTH.

Here's info from dr.greene.com:
    http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...etail&ref=1070
    Hope this helps!
    ================

How is it treated?
    The central concern with diarrhea is the possibility of dehydration from loss of body fluids. Treatment is aimed at preventing dehydration, the real culprit. Most children with diarrhea can be treated safely at home.

If your baby is breastfed, don't stop. Breastfeeding helps prevent diarrhea (making diarrhea only half as likely) and it also speeds recovery. If your baby still seems thirsty after or between nursing sessions, you can supplement with an oral rehydration solution.

If your baby is formula-fed, you might want to switch to a soy-based formula while the diarrhea lasts. A soy formula containing fiber (Isomil DF) can be even more effective at slowing down the stool. Do not dilute the formula. As with breastfed babies, supplementation with an oral rehydration solution can help replenish the fluids and electrolytes that have been lost in the diarrhea stools.

If your baby is already big enough to be taking solid foods, carrots, rice cereal, bananas, potatoes, and applesauce can help slow down the stools. Avoid fruit juices, peas, pears, peaches, plums, prunes, and apricots until the stools are back to normal, which should be within a week or so.

Yogurt and other sources of beneficial bacteria can help to actively treat diarrhea from any cause.

If the diarrhea lasts longer than a week, or is accompanied by more than 72 hours of fever, get in touch with your pediatrician. Contact your pediatrician right away, however, if your baby won't drink or appears to be getting dehydrated (dry mouth, crying without tears, sunken soft spot, lethargic, or going 8 hours without producing urine) or if your baby is under two months old and has diarrhea with a fever. Vomiting for 24 hours, 8 stools in 8 hours, or the presence of blood, mucus, or pus in the stool should also prompt a call to your pediatrician.