tigalig Guest

Default Have you tried to make your own bookmark?

DS just started reading chapter books (well, I'm reading, he's listening) and he wants a personalized bookmark. The only website I could find that was decent was this one:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/kids/bookmarkfactory/

Does anyone else make their own bookmark around here? I know there is a simple answer somewhere but I'm stumped. TIA!

Default RE: Have you tried to make your own bookmark?

I did as a kid--I just took construction paper and markers, decorated a strip of paper myself, and then covered the whole thing with contact paper to make it more durable. You could also give him stickers, or let him cut out pictures from magazines and glue them onto construction paper or card stock. Once it is covered in contact paper, he can even punch a hole in the bottom and tie on a string to dangle a charm or beads that will hang out the bottom of the book, or he can cut a "fringe" onto the top or bottom of the bookmark.

If he likes comics, he can cut out a strip from the newspaper and mount it onto construction paper or card stock and then cover with contact paper.
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

I have made my own. I am love rubber stamps and have a collection. Any craft store will sell blank ones if you want a perfect shape, the ability to add a tassle, etc.. You can decorate them however you wish...
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD wants a bookmark for every book we read at the moment! I got some strips of cardboard and she just colored and put stickers on them so they are v.basic but do the job of bookmark.

Mikesa3 Guest

I found this link http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-cra...96school2.html I just use cardstock, then cut it with a paper cutter to get straight lines then laminate it with the clear shelf paper. You could use the fun scissors that cut designs.They are only about $2 at AC Moore craft store.You can use your paint program and he could even make his own design.Or you can laminate a picture of him to make it personal.To fancy it up.punch a hole and thread ribbon/yarn through it.To go simple just cut construction paper in strips and glue his picture,add some fun stickers and put your ds name on it.I do recommend covering whatever you make with the clear laminate to make it last.Just have fun.:-)
    Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For Party Favors for Ds' birthday, I just designed one in photo shop, printed it out on card stock, covered it with clear contact paper and trimmed it. I think you can find bookmark tassles in the stamp section at craft stores, if you wanted to add that as well.

Alternately, you could have your son color a picture then cut it up for bookmarks.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Mommy_Again is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

you can also take it to Kinko's and get them to do a really durable laminate- do several at once and then cut them up yourself.
    DS 2003
    DD1 2009
    DD2 2011

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

This used to be one of our favorite activities as kids! We would draw on strips of construction paper and Mom would seal them in clear contact paper for us. We also used clover and small leaves to make "nature" bookmarks. I think I still have some of them.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!