Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default what is your 26 monthish toddler saying/doing these days?

Just curious as to what your toddler is saying these days and how large a "sentence" can they say? Last week, DH had a softball game so I picked Sydney up from school and we were going to go watch him play. So in three seprate conversations, i told her 1) we're going to the park, 2) daddy is playing baseball, 3) we're going to go watch.

And the next thing i hear is my child blurting, "We go to the park to watch daddy playing baseball?"

I was shocked that she put such a long thought together at once.

Also, does your toddler like to "read?" Sydney now goes to her bookshelf and gets books out and sits there and reads. Of course, she is just reciting by memory but I am amazed at what she memorized, including Goodnight Moon which we have not read to her in ages bc it seemed lame and we got no reaction from her. Now, she gets a hoot out of saying, "the old lady whispering 'haa-shoo' (hush).

Vivian
    Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
    www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default RE: what is your 26 monthish toddler saying/doing these days?

That's pretty impressive!

Gwen's language skills seem to have made a leap forward lately, too. We were camping and a motor boat on the lake frightened her. She later told me "I scared of loud boat, but I safe with Grandpa."

Also the connections she makes are surprising sometimes. We drove past a junk yard yesterday and she asked, "Mommy, cars crash?" Where in the world has she seen a crashed car before?

Gwen's not a big fan of books at the moment; she rarely sits through more than a few pages before saying "Done!" and running off to do something else. I'm hoping this will change as she gets older; both DH and I are book lovers.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Wow! That's impressive.

My DS can string together 4-5 words but the strings are not grammatically correct. I'm really pleased with his language development. He repeats everything so we have to be very careful!

My Ds also likes to "read." He sits on a little bench by his bookshelf and talks about the pictures. So cute!

Jenn
    DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

Mom2Miri Guest

DD is very talkative and we're amazed at the sentences she strings together also. A few months ago we counted a 19 word sentence! She loves long words like conversation, delectable, and actually. She's really good at word play too. If I tease her, she'll turn the phrase around to tease me.

I think in part it's because she went through a phase several months ago where she wanted to sit and have me read 35-40 books a sitting. We're "down" to maybe 15-20 books a sitting now but they are longer books with several paragraphs per page. And yes, she reads by herself...that's how I get a shower most days. I put her and a stack of books on the bed and she'll happily read until I'm done.

ETA: Lately she's really gotten into singing songs. Her favorite is Fifty-Nifty United States. I was amazed the other day when she taught DH the states in alphabetical order and only missed a few of New ___ states like NH, NJ. Wish I had a memory like that still!!

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url] 28 months and counting

Holy cow Helen! 35-40 books??? I could get my whole house cleaned if Sydney were willing to read those many books at one time. That is awesome!

Vivian
    Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

Mom2Miri Guest

Vivian,

35-40 books was ME reading to her! :) I have to admit to falling asleep halfway through the stack sometimes now.

But she does sit happily "reading" on the bed for 30 minutes while I shower, etc several days a week.

Let's just say I was probably bookcloseouts.com's best customer for awhile. :P For some odd reason library books don't hold as much appeal for her.

Helen & DD 2/03

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow, everyone's kids sound so impressive and mine doesn't. :( Alex has an extensive vocabulary, but doesn't string more than 3 words together. He says things like:

Eat the waffles
    Read the books
    Big white truck

If I say things back to him like, "Oh, you want to eat some waffles?" He'll say "yeah" or "Alex." But he won't say "I want to eat some waffles."

Now you guys are worrying me. We've always read to him and like a PP would read 30-40 books at a time, so he's definitely been exposed to it. Anyone else with slower talkers?

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sarah is stringing more and more words together every day - it really amazes us! When I ask her what she did that day she'll respond with two or three long sentences and it's so wonderful to be having a conversation with her. She may not know all her letters (she can recite the alphabet, but can't identify all the letters consistently) but loves to talk up a storm. She's quite the parrot too, so we really need to watch ourselves. ;)

She pretends to read too, but instead of reciting all the words will look at the pictures and create her own version of the story.

Songs are another favorite these days, especially "Doe Deer" ("Do Re Mi") and and "You My Sunshine" - I just melt when I hear her sing.

This is such a fun age. It helps make up for some of the other more challenging toddler behavior we've been experiencing.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry - I didn't see this before I posted that Sarah is stringing lots of words together. :(

Alex sounds just fine. Please don't worry (though I know it's hard not to sometimes - I remember feeling this way when Sarah didn't crawl and walk as early as most of the other babies around here.)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Susan, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The bulk of Gwen's speech is still short phrases like Alex uses. It gets the job done, KWIM?

Here's a link to some info on preschool language milestones:
    http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4840,00.html

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast