Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mom2Miri Guest

Default I'm sorry!

I re-read my post and felt badly that it sounded boastful. I hate that and really didn't mean for it to come off that way. We actually find her talking funny.

I really wouldn't worry about your son's development! They all develop different abilities at different rates. I would bet that Alex is more socially well-developed than my daughter. We know another girl about the same age who is physically at least a year ahead of my daughter but only says 3 word sentences. Actually I worry all the time that DD is behind socially.

ETA: My dad just reminded me the other day that I fretted when she was ~17-18 months old that she wasn't talking much.

Helen & DD 2/03

Default Songs!

We are very into songs around here too. The current faves that he tries to sing and pleads me to sing constantly are:

Baa Baa black sheep
    Old MacDonald had a farm
    Hokey Pokey
    Do Re Mi
    Happy Birthday
    Jack and Jill went up a hill (okay not technically a song)
    Humpty Dumpty (yeah, yeah, not a song)

I will have to add "You are my sunshine" to our repertoire. :)

Another fun one is to whistle the songs and he has to guess them. This is our stuck in traffic game when he gets fidgety in the car.
    Mom to R and R

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: what is your 26 monthish toddler saying/doing these days?

Thanks for the link. I'm shocked DS is actually meeting all of the 3 year milestones listed. He was very slow to put words together, but I guess he is on track now. Thanks.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

pixelprincess Guest

It seems like DS suddenly started talking a lot more around 18 months. Now he does put together some sentences like "This is Kathy's house" i.e. our neighbor's house or "I like it" :-)

Rowan isn't much of a solo reader (for that matter doesn't play by himself too). But he loves being read to and has preferences in reading material. We have a good collection of books and I also bought stuff on Ebay, but his taste seems to be broadening considerably. Fortunately, our public library has wonderful books and we have been bringing back all kinds including non-fiction like Frog, Snails and Bug books.

Susan, I wouldn't worry. DS is exposed to older kids in preschool and that has helped his speech development considerably in the last two months. Most of the kids his age in our playgroup aren't talking as much. My bf's DS is a month younger and not saying as much as Alex.

darby24 Guest

Resident late talker coming in here.

Don't worry!!!!! :-)

My nephew (who just turned 3) is now beginning to say simple words such as; more, hi and bye! Honestly.

In general, we are a relaxed family and have never thought this was doing any harm. He had a simple hearing test, but no further intervention. Between signing and his few words we've made it through just fine. His dad didn't talk until three, so there really is no worries here.

Alex will talk in sentences. Just give him time! He's already ahead of other kids his age.

Chin up, you're doing a great job!! :-)

Edit to change my avatar

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Songs!

I like the whistling game. We may have a long car trip coming up next month, so I'll keep that in mind - thanks!

We haven't tried "Hokey Pokey" or "Jack and Jill," but Sarah loves the others you mentioned. Just last night she was singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" in the tub, though it was mixed in a bit with "Twinkle, Twinkle," so it sounded more like a medley. ;)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Just want to point out

that the research indicates that children, except those with serious issues, are basically at the same verbal level by age 5. Talking early or late doesn't impact this. One's receptive language is the most important indicator for a young child.

Jenn
    DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

DS has a speech delay - so were very proud a few weeks ago when he started speaking in sentences "Want train, please". We're still at the 2-3 word phase. We also discovered he can sight read a few words. Now if only we could teach him how to jump - he bends his knees- but doesn't leave the ground. LOL!

darby24 Guest

Default RE: Just want to point out

ITA.

My cousin didn't talk clearly until age 6 (his sibling translated to all the adults - including the mom and dad!)

mharling Guest

Susan -
    Lane sounds similar to Alex. His vocabulary is quite large and he strings 3 *maybe* 4 words together. Like a PP, his 'sentences' aren't necessarily grammatically correct.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
    Lane - April 2003
    Faye - March 2005

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2