Mikesa3 Guest

Default Any experience w/afternoon kindergarten?

x-post from baby lounge
    I just found out my 5 year old ds will be going in the afternoon. All my kids have gone in the morning so I'm wondering how it's going to work. On one hand it's good to have one less kid to be dressed and fed and out the door by 8:15 on the other hand I wonder if he'll be too tired out to do well. Plus I was looking forward to doing my grocery shopping with just one child and now won't be able to since youngest ds will need his afternoon nap.I guess the plus is I'll have a couple of hours to myself in the afternoon,though it will be hard to hold his nap off till 1:00pm. He's pretty cranky between 12-1 so it might be hard to get older ds ready.
    Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

lukkykatt Guest

Default RE: Any experience w/afternoon kindergarten?

No experience, but we will be joining you in the pm. I actually chose pm kindergarten for DS. Since I am home anyway, I thought it would be nice to have the mornings to do things or just chill, then have lunch and off to school just as he is looking for stuff to do. Plus a major incentive was that the morning kindergarten started at 8:30 and we are just not morning people to be able to get out the door at 8:10.

My younger DS will be going to the same school for pm preschool 3 days a week. He is just starting to give me grief about naps, though he is still taking them most days. I think he will be fine with this schedule though, and he can still take naps the other 4 days (though I will have to leave the house at 3:15 to pick up DS, so it won't be much of a nap).

We'll have to touch base in the fall and see how it is working out.

Default RE: Any experience w/afternoon kindergarten?

You must be in the middle of this now! Hope it's working well!

I taught kindergarten and when it came time for my own kids to go, I put them in afternoon classes! As long as a child doesn't still need a nap, PM is great! From a teacher's point of view, I thought of it like this: I taught the same lesson 2 times a day. I taught it in the morning the first itme, so by the afternoon, I was better at it! LOL, I knew what worked, etc. The kids were usually calmer also.