Default Teaching a young toddler to read

My 20-month old is VERY interested in reading and seems to want to learn how to do it. He constantly asks me to spell out words and when we read books he always tries to "read" along.

How can I encourage this behavior and take it to the next level? I wasn't expecting him to show signs of being ready to learn how to read so early and I haven't gotten to read up on the subject. Any good books/tools I can use? He has various phonics toys, TONS of books and a Little Leap Pad. Any other things that help with early reading?

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Teaching a young toddler to read

Does he like playing on the computer? I would try this site:
    http://www.starfall.com/

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

There are some Leap Frog DVDs that work on teaching letter sounds and sounding out words:

Leap Frog - Letter Factory (2003)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
    Leap Frog - Talking Words Factory (2003)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I learned to read watching "The Electric Company" on PBS. They've just released four "best of" DVD's and they're a great, phonics-based approach. I don't like media with toy tie-ins, including the modern Sesame Street, because I think they work too much on getting kids to beg for the toys. But since there isn't any "Electric Company" merchandise, all you'll be risking is your kid wanting to watch a bunch of Morgan Freeman movies (this show was his big break in the 70's.) Anyway, I do recommend them! You can get them on Netflix if you want to check them out in advance.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

Kincaid Guest

Another big vote for Starfall.com. It is GREAT!!!

There is a well respected method called "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons." This is often used by preschool teachers. I found a copy in our local bookstore, but have also seen on e-bay and half.com. It is in "workbook" style.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are using the Bob Books. We have been checking them out from the library, but will probably buy the whole set.

http://www.bobbooks.com/

Each book introduces a couple new letters. The story is simple and only uses the letters introduced in the book or an earlier book.

angela

raynjen Guest

"Teach Your Child to Read" IS a great book, but shouldn't be used for a child under the age of 3.5-4 (depending on maturity). It is a VERY structured book and can't be eased into. We've used it 3 separate times and it wasn't until about 4.25 that my daughter and I finally liked it.

I second, third, and fourth Starfall. There are no monetary fees, and it is absolutely safe to let your kid "wander" through. We also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the Leap Frog videos (especially the earlier ones on letters and "chunking". I would suggest watching them with your child so that you can use the same wording as they do (and, as I never learned phonics rules, it was very helpful in pointing out some of the basic rules to me).

By the way, you can print out the "books" on Starfall for free, so you don't really "need" Bob books. However, we have bought and enjoyed the first two sets (the set ordering is a bit confusing so be sure to look at them in person first). My daughter liked that I would let her color in each page as she deciphered it (they are black and white line drawings). As she got better she had to wait to the end of the book to color it in.

If your child is "into" workbooks (as mine was, even from an early age) the "Get Set for the Code" books are really good. Very, very basic illustrations, but very good sequencing; and, unlike most workbooks found at the store, spend a good deal of time on each concepts.

Also, your child DOES NOT need to know how to write in order to read. Many reading programs (including 100 EL) push learning to write. With many kids the muscular coordination doesn't come along till much later. With kids who can "do" the reading but not the writing part (or get frustrated because they can't do it "right") have them dictate the answers to you. The Code books are good for this because they often have the child circle the correct answer rather than write it.

Most of all, take it slowly, at your child's pace. If they start to balk drop it for a week or a month. You'll find, when you come back to it, that they've retained everything and made leaps since then! (Trust me, I learned this the hard way)

My daughter, who just turned five two weeks ago has been reading C-V-C (consant-vowel-consant) words since she was three and now reads at about a mid-second grade level.

Jen in Wichita
    Mom to my beautiful little daughter, Noelle!

http://by.lilypie.com/yB-om6/.png