Default Weaning Paci -- Need Advice/Support

In my DD 15 month check-up her dr. noticed she has a ridge forming on the roof of her mouth from her paci. We have to wean our DD off the paci by her 18 month visit. Currently we are only giving it to her at nap and bedtime.

I have read several forums and am wondering whether taking the paci away cold turkey is the best way to go or whether we should start with getting rid of it at nap time and then eventually taking it away at bedtime.

I know I need to stick to my guns on this, but I just want some advice on the "best" way to get rid of this darn paci before serious dental damage occurs. Any advice/support is welcome. Thanks!

mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Weaning Paci -- Need Advice/Support

HI. We started to give ours to our DS around 22 months at just nap and bedtime. He did pretty well with that. Then we reached our limit of having to deal with it, agreed we would endure the sleepless nights and just do it. Well, our kid at a little over 2, did great. he only asked for it twice and has never looked back. He slept through the night and all. I dreaded doing it (I know my child is olders than yours), but it really went better that we ever expected.

We just told our DS that it was gone, we no longer had it anymore and it went bye, bye.And I do recommend that if you do cold turkey, to make sure they are all gone. I think you will have a rough few days at worst, but then they realize it is not coming back.

A friend of mine, used the weaning method. She had pacifers everywhere and as they got lost or left somewhere, they were eventually all gone. And when they could not find it, oh well. Worked for her. HTH in someway. Good luck. Susan

We went cold turkey w/DS around 20 mos (later than I had hoped, but at 18mos we tried it and he went bazerk).
    We cut the end off the paci and he got all curious about it. I told him it needed to go in the garbage -- broken!
    It actually worked. He asked for them a few times after that but was apparently ready to give it up.
    Good luck!

Thanks so much for your suggestion. My DD is in a terrible teething phase right now so once these 4 teeth come in we are going to try get rid of the paci. Thanks again!