Default Terrible Twos - Any tips? (X-posting in Baby Feeding)

A month or so after his second birthday I could definitely see that DS had officially entered the terrible twos. To be honest it isn't that horrible because DS is pretty good kid who is always happy. It's just that he is acting age appropriate and asserting his independence and testing boundaries.

Here's the thing he does that really tries my patience...
    when he's done with his meal he will throw (more of a drop as opposed to across the room) whatever food remains and/or his bowl, spoon, etc.

Anyone BTDT and have any tips for me? I know one theory is to stop the meal when the throwing begins, but that doesn't work since he's already done.

Thanks,
    Julie
    SAHM Mom to Ryan (who just happens to have Prader-Willi Syndrome) 2/04
    www.pwsausa.org - Still Hungry For a Cure

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Terrible Twos - Any tips? (X-posting in Baby Feeding)

Hi Julie-

I saw this wanted to see how things were going?

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

Default RE: Terrible Twos - Any tips? (X-posting in Baby Feeding)

Hi Kate:

Thanks for asking. Actually thanks to some suggestions on the baby board it seems things have improved. The biggest thing is changing my own behavior and remaining calm (which is what several moms suggested). Of course I knew this too, but it's much harder to practice patience and calmness when red sauce is being thrown around!:o

However, it does seem like if I don't overreact and just calmly tell DS "no throwing", "we don't throw our food" or something similar that it works better than me losing my temper or showing a stronger reaction....still working on this though at times.

I'm also trying to get quicker at clearing his dishes when he's done; making sure I'm right by him as he finishes so I can promptly remove any remaining food and take him to wash hands right away.

And amazing at breakfast now DS occassionally starts to bring his plate or bowl into the kitchen all on his own!

Julie
    SAHM Mom to Ryan (who just happens to have Prader-Willi Syndrome) 2/04
    www.pwsausa.org - Still Hungry For a Cure