Default traveling with 18 month DD

Hi, planning a trip to NY in January with my 18m DD.

Should I take the train (2hours 45 mins) and hold the baby in my lap (daddy will be there to help) or stick her in her car seat for 4-5 hours?!

It is our first trip with her. Please help!!

Thanks.

Calla's mom

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: traveling with 18 month DD

Train would get my vote. You can get up and walk around, it isn't as long, you won't have a car to deal with, there are snacks usually...

Is there an option of buying her a seat? I don't think for such a short trip it would be a big deal to have her on your lap (but I admit that I am not always up on the safety travel things- my ds took many flights as a lap baby which I know makes others cringe). If you are going to NYC and have to drive/ park then buying her a seat on the train could wind up costing as much as an extra train ticket.

Beth

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: traveling with 18 month DD

I would vote for the shorter trip time :-)

Are you going to NYC? Parking is expensive there, so it probably just as well not to have a car there. If you go to the other cities / suburbs, then you may need a car more.

Have fun! At 18 months, she will probably be quite fascinated by all the new things she is seeing that she will be entertained on the train.

Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03