Thread: Nose picking

jlriveau Guest

Default Nose picking

I was wondering if anyone out there has issues with their kids picking their nose? Any suggestions on how to get them to stop?
    We've tried directly addressing it, giving him kleenex constantly, and getting a book from the library about it. None seem to work. Any thoughts?

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Nose picking

We have the worlds worst nose picker! She seems to do it constantly. I tell her to stop all the time, I go to pick her up from school and she's sitting there picking away, it's so embarrassing (for me!). I have no idea how to make her stop doing it all the time, I tell her to go to the bathroom and use a tissue, I told her it's not polite but I think she is just in the habit and doesn't know she's doing it most of the time.
    If you get an idea how to make it stop, please let me know.

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

yup, mine does it too. sigh....

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine, too... still not much success in trying to stop him.

Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Mine does too. Occasionally, he eats his boogers too. Yuck...
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My comments are a little on the late side since I just saw this post...

DS is 3 and at his preschool they make him wash his hands if he is picking his nose. He doesn't like washing his hands so this has helped there. This didn't work at home (I had to pick my battles, and this was not one of them), but I talked to him about how noses have germs and that other people didn't want his germs. When he picks his nose, I try to restrain myself and ask him if he would like a tissue (instead of saying "Puleeeeeease stop picking"!!). He usually says no, but he also stops picking. If he continues, I say "It really looks like you need a tissue." I get a tissue and try to wipe his nose and he usually yells...but it seems to get the point across. I also tell him that if he would like to pick his nose, he can do that in the privacy of his room, but that he then needs to wash his hands.

I am just throwing out a bunch of ideas...all kids are different, so these may not work with your little picker. Just know that you are not alone!

Mine, too. I think it's a habit, and I'm trying to gently break him of it by interrupting every time I see it.

I usually get him a tissue and make him use the tissue on his nose, which stops the picking for a little while, or gently touch his hand and ask him to stop.

That's about the best I can do....
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew