Thread: hanging a quilt

Default hanging a quilt

We received a crib set that contains, among other things, a small quilt. It isn't suitable for the crib, so I'd like to hang it on the wall as decoration. I've never done anything like this before; does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done easily?

TIA!

Jen

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: hanging a quilt

Some sets actually have matching quilt clips to hang the quilt with. There are also some "generic" stars and flowers at BRU/amazon.
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just searched for "quilt clips" on amazon to find those. They make quilt racks, but I'm not sure if they would work for tiny quilts. You could always use a pretty towel rack.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

Thanks for the clip idea! I went to Michaels and found quilt clips that are a little different. They are small pieces of wood with a slit cut into them, and in the slit is a metal marble. The marble moves around in the slit and pinches the quilt in place. The wood piece is mounted to the wall, and voila, instant wall hanging! Probably not what you'd want for an heirloom, but it'll do for this.

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have those same clips from Michaels. I stained ours to match the guest room furniture. I have 4 holding a queen size quilt and they work beautifully. I'm sure they'll be great for hanging your quilt.

~Linda~
    DS 11/04

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For another idea, we got a curtain rod from PBK with some fun finials and used that - nice b/c it adjusts to any size.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

How did you attach the curtain rod to the quilt, though? I've read about creating a long fabric sleeve and sewing it on to the back of the quilt, would a few loops of fabric be sufficient instead?

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My sister made the quilt for me and she always puts a sleeve on the back for hanging purposes. Depending on the size of the quilt loops might work - if it's too big though the fabric might sag between the loops, IYKWIM.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

em_jon98 Guest

We purchased and then DH painted and finished the longest wood shelf that Michaels sells to match our nursery decor. He then put five brass hooks into the back piece of wood underneath the shelf.

To hang the quilt from the hooks, I made bows at the top of the quilt. You can use whatever kind you want, but a narrow ribbon would probably work best for this. I used the 1/8" Spool 'O Ribbon that is $0.50 regular price at Michaels and JoAnn's. It comes in all kinds of different colors and a few different styles. I used five pieces of it in five spots of equal distance apart, sewn onto the back of dd's quilt with simple stitch on the very top layer of the back of the quilt (so the stiches didn't show through to the from) and tied it into bows.

We mounted the shelf on the wall opposite the crib, for safety purposes (so dd wouldn't be able to pull down the quilt and the shelf with it into the crib.) The quilt clips are cute, but the shelf gave me extra space to display knick-knacks, and we are still using the shelves. I had a set of plates that I purchased years ago to use in my future childern's nursery, and the shelves from Michaels have the plate ridge on them. We also put things like her silver baby cup on the shelf, and now we use the hooks to hang a set of angel ornaments she recieved as a gift for her baptism. DH also bought and finished the smaller shelf and we hung a stuffed animal that matched her quilt from it over her changing table, and now we use it for similar knick-knacks.

We felt like the shelf had more of a lasting value in the child's room. Plus, they were pretty cheap (I think the largest shelf was around $15, plus a few cans of spray paint at $3 or so each) and not extremely labor intensive (one or two nights to finish and hang.)

HTH