jhaud Guest

Default playsilks - where to buy blank silk scarves

I have been planning on making my own playsilks for dd. does anyone know where i can purchase blank silk scarves...

or ... what did you do to make your own playsilks? i have also considered buying solid silk from walmart and hemming it. looking for inexpensive ideas. but also if they look nice, i would like using as a gift idea (i already make grocery cart covers and tag blankets.)

thanks for any ideas/info
    jennifer

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: playsilks - where to buy blank silk scarves

http://www.dharmatrading.com/silk_scarves.html

I think making your own would be more expensive and have the potential to drive you insane. :)

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

nitaghei Guest

Thai Silks is an inexpensive source for white silk scarves;

http://www.thaisilks.com/store/merch...gory_Code=3010

I bought and made several, just using Koolaid, and DS has a lot of fun with them. A few went as gifts, too.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

jhaud Guest

thanks anna and nita!

nita, what size scarves did you use? i'm anxious to try the kool-aid technique... i had seen references to this on another playsilk thread (which is what gave me the inspiration!)

thanks,
    jennifer

Not Nita, but I'm checking the boards as my playsilk cools off!!! I ordered from Thai Silks, and I started off with 36 x 36 of the "China Silk". DD loves them and I just made a batch for my neice.

I also just bought one 45 x 45 and I have a couple 22 x 22 (about). The bigger ones are definitely the most useful!!

Good luck and have fun making your playsilks!

nitaghei Guest

I've done the 36, 45 inch and some rectangular ones (don't remember the size on these - maybe 12x60?). DS likes the 36 inch ones the best (he also has a red one from Juliet of www.bumbershootbaby.com). The 45 inch ones are just a little too big, and he can trip over them, but they probably will have more lasting value. I actually like have a variety of sizes, FWIW.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

em_jon98 Guest

Jennifer,

I'm involved with a few fabric co-op's who order blank clothing and scarves and dyes from Dharma on a regular basis (about once a quarter) to save on shipping (unless you are really close to Dharma, their shipping is pretty outrageous.) Email me if you want the info.

Also, the Rainbow Rock brand dyes are the same type of fiber reactive dye as Dharma sells. You can buy the individual colors at Hobby Lobby and Michaels, and tye dye kits with multiple colors and all the necessary supplies at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn's, and Wal-Mart.

They are pretty easy to dye and super fun!!! Hope you have a blast!