Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I need quilt patterns like Pottery Barn, Company Kids, etc

My mother in law is an expert quilter and I would like her to make a quilt for my daughter's toddler bed from fabric i will choose. Problem is that all the books i see are a little old-fashioned for my taste as are all the quilts she has already made for us. I could always buy one from PBK or CK but i want to choose the fabrics and it will mean more to us if it is made by Grandma.

Anyone know where i can find more up-to-date and not so traditional quilt patterns?

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: I need quilt patterns like Pottery Barn, Company Kids, etc

Is there a specific quilt you have in mind? Quite honestly from a quilter's point of view most of the quilts from PBK and CK are pretty simple quilts. Your MIL would probably be able to come up with her own pattern. But if you could link to a specific quilt, I might be able to find something similar.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm with Veronica -- there's nothing challenging about those quilts. Show her some pics out of the catalog and talk about what you envision and the kinds of colors you want. There are tons of quilting books with cuter and/or more modern designs. She may even have some in her stash and you just don't know it. If not, she can certainly get her hands on them at her favorite quilt shop if she's not up to designing it herself.

What is it that you like about those quilts? The colors, obviously. But are your favorites the patchworky ones or the appliqued (picture) ones? Identifying that will help her a lot with catching your vision. And if it is the appliques that you love, maybe you can google up some line drawings (simple, simple, simple) that she could turn into pics, or maybe you and your DD could create some special art that she could adapt. It isn't hard to do!

I like free spirit fabric and they have a free patterns page. Threr may be a few there that you like.
    http://www.freespiritfabric.com/core-pages/patterns.php

Michael Miller has some patterns too.
    http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/...d.cfm?Gid=1117

Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

Thank you! I really liked some of the free spirit fabric patterns. i will direct her to that site. i also ordered a contemporary quilt book from Amazon for her so when it gets here i will look at that one too and then give it to her to "update" her collection. She lent me a bunch of books to look at but they are almost all from the 80's or 90's!!! Actually my inlaws need a total life update as they are permanently stuck in the 80's in every aspect of their decorating lives! Very nice people though. :)

And it's not so much the colors that i like at PBK as the patterns. My son has the police bedding set. I am hoping to do her bedding in pink and chocolate brown w/ lots of polka dots. I know there is tons of fabric in those colors right now, so i shouldn't have trouble finding some...i hope!

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No fair! You have to tell us *which* contemporary book you ordered! I'm a quilt book and magazine junkie. Can you tell?

So glad the links helped. I don't quilt but sew and love to make lounge pants with all the cute quilting cottons that are available now plus I use them in my biz.

You should find tons in the pink and chocolate families.
    Check out this link for new fabrics coming out this spring!
    http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/...2/indulge.html

This one in not quite the colors your looking for but I love it too!
    http://www.quiltersbuzz.com/2007/02/..._a_snea_1.html

My MIL get stuck in her decorating style too. Please post pics when she is finished.
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

bchafin is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I can't help with patterns, but when I read that you are doing brown and pink I thought of this for you.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/shop/index...d/10/subid/123

I love the paper doll print! It makes me want to have a girl.

I also have a coupon code for 10% off--It is OUTLIKEALAMB and good until April 3.

HTH and have fun!

Barb

The one i ordered was "Make your own contemporary quilts". haven't seen it yet, but i'm hopeful. If it doesn;t pan out, i'm going for the polka dotted one in the free spirit fabrics link. I forwarded it to the mother in law and of course, she had never seen anything like it but said it was "doable". Quilting is pretty much her life but she never makes anything expcet traditional country style things. maybe the book will be an eye opener and get her out of her rut. she does fabulous work though.

So much for being hopeful.i didn't like the book and it is going back to amazon. i am using one of the patterns from freestyle fabrics, so thank you again for sending that link!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast