fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Learning to sew?

So I have decided I need a hobby :) I think sewing would be useful, but I have no clue how it works (can't thread a needle, never been within 10 feet of a sewing maching. literally)

Should I take classes? Is this something I can learn through books? Is there a not too expensive machine that is good for beginners? OR should I look for a different hobby!

Thanks!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Learning to sew?

I think a class would be a good place to start. Find one that supplies the machines so you don't have to buy anything right away. There are some very decent inexpensive machines out there ($200-500) that will do most of what you would need for home/craft sewing. Really, a straight stitch and a zig-zag are what I use 90% of the time even though my machine has something like 100 stitches.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Seconding this! Take a class! Check with sewing machine dealers in your area -- they should have machines available for you to use for free if you are taking the class. There will be a charge for the class, and probably a supply list of things to buy, but you don't ned to invest in a machine until you decide if you enjoy this. If you can find the time, go visit the stores you are considering. Take the class from the store that is friendliest and most welcoming. Steer clear of any shop that is rude to you or unwelcoming of your kids. They don't deserve you. (Don't misunderstand: small children will not be welcome in class, but you should certainly feel OK shopping with them along.)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks to you both! I feel like a complete idiot with such a basic question, but it is completely new to me!

Now to start looking for classes...

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

classes, classes, classes! I've found books to be a great complement to an actual lesson, but I can't imagine learning on my own.

Also, there is a DVD series called "You Can Make It." I've heard good things about it. Again, it's not as good as a class, but great for review, etc. I keep meaning to ask DH for it as a gift. Also,it's available on smartflicks (like netflix, but for DIYers)
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12