chiqanita Guest

Default Our umteenth attempt at using crayons...HELP!

I've introduced my 18 m.o. twin boys to crayons a little while ago and have attempted to draw with them a number of times. We've been somewhat successful at keeping the crayon on the paper that I tape to their high chair trays BUT every time they end up taking bites of the crayon. I show them the way they should use the crayon and that they shouldn't put it in their mouth but it hasn't worked, yet.

Anyone have any ideas other than being consistant about pulling the crayons out of their mouths?

Today I just ended the Art session because as soon as I cleaned out DSa's mouth DSb took a few nibbles from his red crayon.

TIA!

Strange posting where no one has posted, hope someone sees this.

ETA
    Something strange is happening, when I posted last night there were no other posts. When I looked today there are several previous posts. When I login all the post disappear? Straaaaange!

Default RE: Our umteenth attempt at using crayons...HELP!

I started my boys with a magnadoodle instead of crayons at first. My older DS was not a mouther (never really put much in his mouth) and we moved on to crayons before he was 18 months old.

My second DS is a mouther and I have given him crayons a few times but he turns them sideways and tried to eat the paper off! I always end up going back to the magnadoodle. I also keep them in the car for the boys to play with.

With my younger one I end the coloring session when the crayon goes in his mouth and I also tell him not to eat it etc. I think it will take a few time for them to understand how to use the crayons and what they need to do to keep coloring. Soon they will be coloring without problems.

HTH,
    Michelle I

DS 1 - 7
    DS 2 - 5
    DD - 1

Bearhut Guest

We had a similar problem when my DC was using crayons in the high chair. We finally decided there was an association between being in the high chair or at the table and eating. You might want to try crayons in another location. Once we got my DC set up at an easel for another table she did very well and no longer ate every crayon.

Hope this helps.

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Finding a place ont he floor where we could spread out and draw really helped with the crayon eating. I imagine its a lot harder with two at a time, do you have a table and chair set for them? That might work too.

good luck! Keep trying!

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

raynjen Guest

You might try soaking drizzling vinegar over the crayons and then letting them dry out. It certainly won't hurt them and the odd taste will probably slow them down.

Another option - twistable are encased in plastic so only the tips are revealed. The newer ones supposedly draw smoother and cleaner.

Jen in Wichita
    Mom to my beautiful daughter,
    a shorn, short, and sweet 4, Noelle!

http://b5.lilypie.com/BFsVp9/.png