etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default she likes taking bites off BIGGER pieces rather than eating bite sized...

anyone else's toddler prefer this? it's odd. she LOVES to eat a whole strawberry, taking tons of little bites, but give her a bunch of chopped up strawberries and she doesn't really want them. the other night we made hamburgers. i chopped up some hamburger bites into her bowel. WOULD NOT EAT THEM. then i gave her bites right from my hamburger. LOVED IT!!!

same with cheese, anything. the only thing i'm really afraid to do this with (for obvious reasons) is grapes. she won't eat them chopped anymore, but will not give her full.

but it's definitely been an interesting transition.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: she likes taking bites off BIGGER pieces rather than eating bite sized...

Yep, Colin prefers bigger pieces too. I think that it is just part of them imitating what you are doing - you aren't eating a hamburger chopped up in a bowl, so why should she?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: she likes taking bites off BIGGER pieces rather than eating bite sized...

Declan does this too. I just have to watch him very carefully. The other night I put a whole slice of cantaloupe on his tray and was about to cut it up when he stuffed the whole thing in his mouth. I couldn't believe it! Granted it was already at the last day I would have given it to him and it was soft & juicy but still. He had juice streaming out his mouth and all down his arm. But he sat there and chewed it all up and soon it was gone.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
    and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

jubilee Guest

Logan is doing the same thing. Must be the age for this!

mharling Guest

Same thing here! He gets whole pancakes (dollar size), regular slices of cheese, chunks of banana, etc. The only thing I won't give him whole, like you, is grapes. I still cut them in 8 (even though he snatched a half from me today and did just fine; I was SO nervous!).

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
    [link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Matthew does this too! I've been trying to get him to eat toast strips, as someone else described their 8 month old doing, but he wants to put the whole thing in his mouth!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Just to let you know what the next step is...Leah will ONLY eat with a fork or spoon. She refuses to eat any of the pieces with her hands anymore. In fact, sometimes she doesn't even want "her" fork or spoon, she wants mine! Things to look forward to...

Aimee
    Mother to Leah 10/26/02