deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Found a snack my DS loves...thought I'd share

I picked up some yogurt covered raisins at Whole Foods, in the bulk section. I was really getting them for me, because I have always loved them - but Kai really likes them too.

I'm hoping nobody has any reasons why this isn't a safe or healthy snack (choking hazard, weird treatment processes, who knows what else?) because he really likes them. I've been confused on raisins themselves for awhile - I was worried they might be some sort of choking hazard, but he seems to do well with them, but it is always a nagging thought in the back of my head "are these safe?"

So anyway, it's a snack you might want to try - knocks out 2 food groups in one little itty bitty bite, so thats a plus in my book!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Default RE: Found a snack my DS loves...thought I'd share

Deborah,

I don't want to rain on your parade but sometimes the yogurt coating is not as much yogurt as you think. I don't know if the Whole Foods version is healthier. There are a lot of additional ingredients that go in to make the yogurt into a hard shell around the raisin and also making the shell taste more like candy and less like yogurt.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Bummer...I knew it was too good to be true! :)
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Yes, Sophie recently discovered them as well. She loves them!

I'm careful, however, to give her the ones that are on the smaller side just in case she starts "chipmunking" them.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Default Also confused about dried fruit

Hey Deborah, I'm confused about raisins and other dried fruit too. My DD is almost 14 months old and has at least 12 teeth that I know of. Does anyone know if it's safe to give her dried fruit? If so, do I need to do anything special to it other than make sure it's in small pieces and nice and chewy?

What a great idea - thanks for sharing, I'll have to give them a try. DD loves raisins and cranraisins, so I bet she would love these!

Lisa