Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default healthy crackers?

Can anyone suggest some healthy crackers that I can feed DS who just turned one? I know that 95% of the products in any regular supermarket cookie aisle contain trans. fat, so I went to whole foods to check out crackers. However, since I don't regularly shop at whole foods, I have no idea what anything taste like and whether they would be appropriate for babies. I'm looking for suggestions for whole wheat crackers or anything else that's not too high in sodium.

Thank you!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: healthy crackers?

Most of the crackers at Whole Foods are pretty tasty. Some of our favorites:
    Annie's Cheddar Bunnies
    There's another line of shaped cheddar crackers with fish-y shapes
    That same line has whole-wheat animal shapes
    We've tried some oat bran grahams that are good, and relatively soft. I don't have the package, but they come in a long rectangular box (as opposed to the normally upright cracker boxes).
    Go Go Grahams are supposed to be good, but we haven't tried them yet
    In the baby section, Earth's Best has some square cookie/crackers. The banana ones are yummy!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry so much about the taste. If your babe is anything like mine, if it's put in front of her, she'll eat it. I don't like plain yogurt and she loves it! Same for the baby oatmeal cereal... It might not taste as good as the bad-for-you crackers we're used to, but to a baby, it's just more new stuff, KWIM?

There may be a natural section in your supermarket. And now Pepperidge Farm Goldfish are trans-fat free. They're probably high in sodium though.

Anna

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We get Annie's chedder bunnies and the 365 brand stone wheat crackers (they taste salty but I don't think the sodium is that high.) We also recently tried some corn bread crackers that were really yummy, even plain, but I can't remember the brand. They should be pretty obvious. And the Barbara's Go Go grahams are good, but usually in the cookie aisle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 14 months and counting

we love the Kashi brand TLC crackers, the original whole grain flavor.

I get them at Trader JOes, but Target also carries them.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We also like the Annie's Cheddar Bunnies, Kashi TLC crackers (esp the 7 grain) and the Barbara's Go-Go Grahams.

We did try the Hain's honey animal grahams and neither DS nor I like them. They taste like saw-dust.

I get the non-cheddar Annie's Bunnies. They actually have cheese in them and taste a little cheesy to me.

cheddar bunnies!! cheddar bunnies!!! yum yum yum!!!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

toomanystrollers Guest

Our local Stop & Shop carries "Captain's Catch Baked Cheese Crackers" in the organic foods section :) www.ourfamilyfarm.com

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also like the Our Family Farm crackers. There are cheddar and whole wheat varieties. DS likes them both but especially the cheddar. The cheddar are in the shape of sea animals and the wheat are in the shape of farm animals. DS will actually make the animal noises of the farm animals when he is eating htem! I buy the Our Family Farm crackers when they are on sale usually and stock up. However, regular Goldfish crackers now have no trans fat also and we do buy them when the Our Family Farm crackers aren't on sale.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

lizamann Guest

Mi-Del whole wheat graham crackers are really yummy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast