Default Nursing and Novacaine

I have to have a cavity filled and will have to have novacaine. Will I need to pump and dump or is it safe? Who should I ask - my pedi or OB-GYN? Does anyone have any experience with this?

If I need to pump and dump - how many feeding will be effected?

Thanks for your help!
    Mommy to 2 Amazing Little Boys!
    Andrew 7/2004
    Tyler 2/2007

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Nursing and Novacaine

No need to pump and dump, you can nurse as usual as soon as needed afterwards. If in doubt, ask your dentist.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I nursed after novacaine a couple times last year. Both the ped and dentist said it was fine.
    Kim

lisaE Guest

There is a good section on Kellymom.com, called "Nursing and dental work" or something like that. I printed it out and brought it with me to the dentist to show her. I didn't want her to deny me any pain relief I might need!

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had some fillings replaced a couple of months ago. I was given Novacaine (which is considered safe while nursing, as PP have said).

As a dentist, I have never heard of any concerns for BF with local anesthetic. But this is what I found in my dental drug info book on some of the most common local anesthetics:

Lidocaine (Xylocaine), Bupivacaine (Marcaine), Mepivacaine (Carbocaine, Polocaine):-
    usual infiltration doses has not been shown to affect the health of the nursing infant.

Articaine (Septocaine):-
    It is not known whether articaine is excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised when it is administered to a nursing woman.

Procaine HCL (Novocaine):-
    no ifo (It is not a common anesthetic in dentistry anymore. The term 'Novocaine' is usually used to refer to any of the above loccal anesthetics.)

I hope this eases your mind.

Rebecca

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am going to print this out and call my dentist to find out what she will be using. I appreciate all the information and responses.

Anne
    Mommy to 2 Amazing Little Boys!
    Andrew 7/2004
    Tyler 2/2007