Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Thanks to those who recommended Lilypadz (review)

My order from Kidsurplus.com arrived earlier, and I have been wearing my Lilypadz all day. I'm braless, just to test them out, and they're working beautifully.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: Lilypadz are a thin, flexible plastic breast pad. They're reusable. They work by exerting pressure on your nipple -- the amount of pressure you were using when you put them on -- and gently stick to your breast, so you can wear them and go braless. (If, like me, you wear a bra at night so you don't leak and not for the support, this means you can wear them and sleep braless.) They do not collect the milk; milk tends not to come out when there's pressure on the nipple. Because they don't absorb or collect milk, you only have to wash them out with water, dry them, and put them back on when they need cleaning.

I'm very pleased so far. Feel free to post any questions, and I'll try to answer them.

Oh, and poor Isaac was rather confused when he tried to nurse a few minutes ago; I was reaching to remove the Lilypad, but since it's clear he couldn't see anything, and couldn't figure out why he couldn't reach the nipple already.

stcelia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Thanks to those who recommended Lilypadz (review)

I'm very curious about these things. I like the fact that they are so reusable. What is the adhesive like? That is my main worry. My skin reacts to bandaid adhesive by turning really red. It makes me cautious about putting adhesive on my nipples! Thanks for giving a review. Jenn

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about moisture -- do you find your skin getting sweaty, etc.? I've heard that as a concern for them, since that could increase the risk of yeast. Otherwise, they sound terrific! I'll have to get some for next time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    Breastfeeding 19 months and count

I used Lilypadz from the time my milk came in until DD was two weeks old. The pediatrician found thrush in her moouth at our two week apptmt. and I realized that my nipples were so sore bc I had thrush - the pain wasn't just from nursing. The thrush has since cleared up but I haven't gone back to the Lilypadz. Looking back, I think I was wearing them too many hours per day and not allowing enough air to get to my skin. I was good about cleaning and sterilizing them, so I think it must have been a moisture issue. I did find I would occasionally leak if it had been more than 2 1/2 hours (this was still during the engorgment phase). They were really comfortable though - I haven't decided if I will try them out again.

storage2 Guest

I am in search of what pads I should get... I dont want the sposie ones, but havent researched enough yet to know what is out there. Are these the only pads you use? or do you interchange them with others?

thanks,
    dayna