Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Judegirl Guest

Default Need another perspective check, please....

Calling all of you normal folk...can I add these things to my "Don't sweat it!" list???

1. Dd still won't eat anything thicker than broth.
    2. She suddenly seems to only like fruit.
    3. She doesn't eat any finger foods at all, other than teething biscuits (which she's not quite "eating.")
    4. I'm out of ideas for new foods to introduce. :)

My default is to worry about all of this...is any of it worry-worthy?

Thanks once again!
    Jude

Default RE: Need another perspective check, please....

DS gorged himself on fruit when he was that age. It's all he wanted to eat. A meal for him was usually fruit and cheese cut into cubes. He likes cheddar, jack, colby, etc. They are nice and soft and Riordan shouldn't have trouble chewing it if she can eat fruit. Throw in a stick of toast with butter and you have a full meal :)

Honestly though i wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember that it's all just practice right now. Even now though DS is 16 months I still don't worry if he eats too much because I know he will make up for it in nursing. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Judegirl Guest

Angie - She'll only eat stuff that's the consistentcy of stage 1 jarred stuff - not actual cut-up fruit, just pureed apples, etc.

So she's not getting much practice... :(

Thanks,
    Jude

at 8.5 months Logan was only eating stage 1 foods.

that is about the age that we started solids and we started with stage 1.

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

Judegirl Guest

Karen - Did Logan move up quickly, though? We started at 6 months, so it's been awhile...does it matter if it takes a long time, in terms of future pickiness? Or maybe there's just nothing I can do about that anyway?

Jude

Hey Jude (cue music)--
    I can't offer much advice since Jazz is younger than your baby and we just started solids last week. I will give some reassurance though...

Whenever we read/hear that Jasmine "should" be accomplishing a certain thing, we say to ourselves, "Whatever, it's not like she's gonna be 5 and not... (insert anything: sitting up, crawling, needing to be swaddled, etc.).

I'd advise "Don't sweat it. You're not gonna be sending her off to kindergarten with a lunchbox full of pureed foods!" :)

Hope that helps!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS was the same way. He didn't really start eating "real" table food until he was about 14 months old. And to this day he won't eat yogurt with any chunks in it.

But of course, DD is the opposite extreme. For lunch today she had a chopped up pear and a quarter of a chopped up grilled cheese sandwich! She also loves mac and cheese, quesadillas, toast with anything you want to spread on it, spaghetti, etc. She'll eat anything.

I wouldn't worry. Maybe try and give her some of the sweeter veggies like squash, carrots and sweet potatoes.

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

we were able to move to the stage 2 fairly quickly, by the time she was 10 months old we were only on stage 2. After that she progressed very quickly to eating real food.

I think it has to do with age and development as well as with the amount of practice.

What happens if you give her stage 2 foods?

...Karen
    DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
    http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/bo...breastfed2.gif

pritchettzoo Guest

1. If you're worried about the texture thing, mention it to the ped. Occasionally children need occupational therapy to teach them how to eat.

2. Nope, it's just sweet, and babies like sweet. Mix fruit with veggies if you want, and don't stop introducing new foods. Eventually she might like it.

3. If there is a texture issue (see #1), that could be the reason. Or she just doesn't want to. Be careful with teething biscuits. They can be choking hazards.

4. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and One More (coming July '05)

Hey Jude

Most important of all, don't sweat it! it's mostly practice! Each baby is different and seems most will pick it up by 10 months or that's what I have seen with the babies in my playgroup. I on the other hand have a little piggie who can't hold her food down so we have to add rice to everything. But here is my 2 cents.

Mix fruit with veggies that are not as sweet. Trust me that mush stuff that we make or is in the jar is very bland. I have a huge batch of apples in the freezer and I will always sneak one in with 2-3 cubes of veggies for dinner. Also, grounded almonds are a big hit here! I just toss a teaspoon over veggies or cereal and DD just chomps it right up. Few other mommies in my group use cinnamon in everything or a hint of garlic on veggies!

I just got DD that mesh bag feeder thing that you can put pieces of fresh fruit minus skins or even veggies, that your little one can chew on without chocking. DD loves it and it keeps her occupied for 10 minutes! Besides that, the only other finger food DD will eat is O's. Everything else flies off her tray table!!! :)

good luck and don't stress. your DD is still getting a lot of her nutrients from BM or formula...

K
    DD#1 05/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast