Default Does anyone puree and FREEZE bananas?

I had a temporary moment of insanity at the store the other day. I bought twice the amount of organic bananas that we usually buy thinking, "DH and I will eat half and I'll puree and freeze the other half for Jazz."

Then I get home and realize I'm supposed to serve bananas fresh. Or am I?

Can I freeze bananas like I do sweet potatoes?

While we're on the topic, can you freeze pureed avocados? (When I will be able to stomach paying $8 for an organic avocado is another problem.)
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Does anyone puree and FREEZE bananas?

Don't know about avocados but I just pureed and froze bananas the other day. Just put the puree into ice cube trays, cover with tinfoil until they're frozen, and then pop them out and put them in ziploc baggies. They might turn a little brown but they're safe to eat.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

katesk Guest

I've done the frozen ice cube tray method for both pureed banana, as well as avocados - and they are GREAT! I'm amazed at how fresh and non-brown they are, even after freezing. I didn't add anything to them - just a splash of brita filtered water to get the blender to go...

kate
    mom to jackson valentine 06/25/04

Thanks guys! I feel better now. I'm gonna mix 'em up tonight!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can also freeze the bananas whole in their peel, and then take one out when you need it and do your pureeing. Should eliminate the whole "brown" issue.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I peel the bananas and then freeze them. This is almost the only way DD will eat bananas. (She will occasionally eat a banana slice, usually when we go out to breakfast and the restaurant brings her a fruit face -- she's almost 11 months, so it's not the face, it's just that 2 banana slices is pretty much her absolute limit, and that if she has melon between them).

hellosmiletoday Guest

I froze avocado puree and thawed it out under warm water and DD ate it just fine. You cant let it thaw out in refrig or it turns brown....but if you thaw it out immediately there is no color change. DD ate the frozen avocado without making any faces...but then again she is not a picky eater (she even eats peas and carrots without protesting ... hope it lasts!). Personally I'm very picky, and since I do not like avocado, both the fresh and frozen stuff seemed gross!

I also froze banana puree but I havent used it yet. For freezer storage I've used glass baby food jars (which do not burst if not full) or plastic mini glad or take n toss containers. One note of caution...the only food DD ever rejected was non-ripe bananas.

I have been using commercial organic baby food, and started to buy some fresh organic produce...but with avocado, bananas and mango, I bought conventional...as they have low levels of pesticides (as opposed to apples, pears, berries, etc).