s_gosney Guest

Default New AAP recommendations on BF cosleeping

I saw a story on the Today show this morning about this. The recommendations includes this: "Mother and infant should sleep in proximity to each other to facilitate breastfeeding." And the doctor on the show was advocating cosleeping and outlining the guidelines for doing it properly. I was glad to see the AAP make this move, but I wish they'd make their duration rec a little clearer because everytime someone talks about it, they always seem to say that the rec is only for 6 months.
    As a sidenote, I found out a member of our faculty is doing researching on cosleeping that I might hop on board with. How cool is that?!?

Default RE: New AAP recommendations on BF cosleeping

That's not necessarily a recommendation for cosleeping. We partially cosleep (mostly when DD is sick), but her bed is a hammock next to my side of the bed so I don't have to go anywhere to feed her even when she's not cosleeping -- that counts as proximity in my book. I think the AAP is just suggesting having the baby in your bedroom, not necessarily in your bed (but it's pretty cool that they don't rule out cosleeping).

My understanding is that "co-sleeping" isn't just having DC sleep in your bed, but in the same room with you. A friend of mine who is very pro-AP corrected me when I said we didn't co-sleep with DS, just had him in a cradle next to the bed. She says this is still considered co-sleeping.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Default Here's a link to the story

I was so astounded when I saw this - NBC got it right, unlike the other news media (who are interpreting the guidelines as "moms should ONLY nurse for 6 months", as opposed to what it actually says - BM should be the ONLY food for 6 months, then nurse as long as mom and baby want to, even past a year). I thought Ann Curry did a great job of bringing up the likely questions skeptics would have and allowing the doc to refute them. The doc, BTW, is a leading BF advocate and co-author of many LC textbooks, so they actually got a real expert on BFing!! Ann Curry even interjected some comments alluding to her own BFing ad co-sleeping experiences! Way to go NBC!!
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6927836/
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

Default RE: Here's a link to the story

Yes! I was pleasantly surprised with this segment!

Their last BF segment with Campbell Brown was pretty bad....I thought Ann Curry did a great job!!!

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am SOOOO glad to read this! I have resisted e-mailing the link to the AAP paper to a colleague in my office who has made somewhat snide comments about the fact that I am still nursing DS at 15 months. She has insisted that all the benefits are gained in the first 12 weeks and there is no reason to continue after that. Ugh!!! I have decided not to battle her on this issue. I can only hope that she saw the story on the Today Show this morning! :)

I am so glad this was not a Campbell Brown segment!

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Yea! Thanks so much for sharing this. DS has been sleeping in the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper since he was born and I have been dreading putting him in his crib (his room is all the way upstairs and on the completely opposite side of the house from our bedroom.) Now I have some ammo to convince my husband to keep him in our room as long as he is nursing at night!
    Jen

Mama to Luke (9/04) and Dex (5/06)

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've never understood that. The baby nurses for twelve weeks and it's vital and beneficial. Then what? The baby is twelve weeks and one day and your milk changes into sock water? That's just ridiculous.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

"When you know better, you do better."
    Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Hey Rachel - You might be interested in this story. As you may remember, I just moved back from Belgium, which I think is weak in promoting breastfeeding. I met a woman there from Nigeria who was nursing her 10 month old, and she was so excited to hear that I was still nursing my then 17 month old. She said she liked nursing and was happy to do it, but was being discouraged by Belgian doctors who said there is no benefit after *six* months.

We all have examples of the weakness of the US in terms of breastfeeding, but I thought it was much better than Belgium. From what I've heard or observed, breastfeeding promotion is the US is also a lot better than France and maybe equal or a little better than Germany.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

> The baby is twelve
    >weeks and one day and your milk changes into sock water?
    >

Almost spit my water on my screen with that one! That is too funny Rachel (well, not that people believe it, but your description!)

Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)