Default does your breast still feel sore AFTER it has been engorged?

dylan slept better last night than he has recently and he can't eat well because of his congestion, so i had an engorgement issue this morning. it was bad enough that i pumped the whole thing and then just fed him on the other side twice in a row. everything is fine now, but i still feel really sore on that side (not engorged at all, and no rope like plugged ducts.) it feels bruised. does this sound familar to anyone?
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: does your breast still feel sore AFTER it has been engorged?

Yes, it's always taken a while for it to stop having that bruised and sore feeling, for me. Seems like it's improving as Ishie gets older, though. Hope you feel better soon, Liza, and that Dylan's nose gets unstuffy!

ginalc Guest

Default RE: does your breast still feel sore AFTER it has been engorged?

Liza,

Have you tried a humidifier to help your little guy? Even with controlled humidity in our house, I find that keeping a warm-air humidifier running helps keep the nasal passages clear.

Also, when my little ones get stuffed up I take them in the shower with me and let the steam and warm water help clear their little noses out. If you choose to do a tub bath, just poor water over baby's head and let the water loosen the gook in the nose. It usually helps. At the very least, a quick bath and "nose cleaning" helps prior to an expected feeding.

About the sore breast, yes! I would say that a sore breast is much like a shin splint. Try hot or cold packs to lessen the pain. Hot packs if you're trying to nurse and cold packs if you don't plan to nurse anytime soon. Also, I found that pumping made a sore breast even worse. Avoid pumping the sore side and coax baby to nurse frequently on that side instead. If you must pump, pump on the side that doesn't hurt.

Good luck kiddo, I hope you feel better soon!

gina, mom to 3
    new baby due 5/05