cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default need a quick answer- what do I do if I have 2-3 drinks tonight and nursing?

I rarely drink but DH and I are going out tonight for his 30th birthday and I plan on drinking- especially since we never go out anymore. I do not plan on getting drunk but will probably have 2 or 3 drinks over the evening. I will feed Isabella before we leave- her next feeding will probably be at 1am or so.

I have read some nursing websites but am still confused. Can I nurse her if its been approx 4 hrs since my last drink (we are going out early)? Do I bottle feed her? Pump and dump? Help!

TIA~

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: need a quick answer- what do I do if I have 2-3 drinks tonight and nursing?

I think it depends on how quickly the drinks metabolize in your body. That said, I think if it's been 4 hours since your last drink and you only have 2 or 3 over the course of the evening, it should be fine. FWIW, I've read that the highest level of alcohol in your BM after you drink occurs about an hour after you drink it.

ETA: I've had wine before nursing DD before, but it's usually been at least 3-4 hours and I no longer "feel" the effects of the wine at that point.

Enjoy your dinner!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Default RE: need a quick answer- what do I do if I have 2-3 drinks tonight and nursing?

you can estimate that your body will metabolize one drink/hour. so if your last drink is 4 hours before you feed her, you should be a-ok. and all my OBs/Peds said you can have 2 drinks before nursing without any effect on baby. i feel more comfortable limiting to 1/2 glass of wine if i am going to feed dylan soon, but if it is going to be 3 hours, i am comfortable having 1-2. and if it is going to be all night, i don't worry about 3. (personally, i can barely tolerate 3 drinks, so it doesn't happen often!!! mommy is a cheap date around here!!)
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Basically a good rule of thumb is if you are feeling the effect it's probably best to not nurse. I was told if you are sober enough to drive then you are sober enough to nurse. This is a dangerous statment because many people drive when they really shouldn't. This means really sober enough to drive.
    Eden 9/04

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks everyone for all your help. We had a great time- I only had 2 drinks anyway and was fine by 1am but all the info was good to know.

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    and Isabella 12-18-04