Cisal23 Guest

Default please help....need some ??? answered

Hi girls, I just had my baby two weeks ago and have been having trouble breastfeeding, so I plan on exclusively pumping.So far so good, but I was wondering about some general things. When I pump I can get 3 1/2 to 4 oz. total per pumping session.(I have a pisa)Is that enough and when will it increase?Also when does your supply become established so you can stop pumping 8 times a day?My baby seems to be hungry all the time now so how do you build a stash? Sorry, I am sure these questions have been asked but I really need help! TIA Cindy and baby Randy

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: please help....need some ??? answered

Have you called a lactation consultant? Exclusively pumping is so much harder than breastfeeding IMO. It's definitely possible--I don't want to give you that idea, but if it's not your first choice, I would try to resolve the nursing issues to save yourself time/trouble. If you exclusively breastfeed, you'll need to pump every time your baby would nurse. So you'll be pumping every 2-3 hours for a good while.

There is a yahoo group called "PumpMoms" that may help you: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms/

Good luck! I'm sure your baby appreciates the trouble you are going through for him. :)

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
    and a BOY! (coming July '05)

nitaghei Guest

Have you met with a lacatation consultant, or two or three or four, to determine the cause of the trouble? I'm asking because I've BTDT. We had a lot of problems to begin, and I was really discouraged about BF'g and ended up EP'g for several weeks. But my DS finally did nurse - after almost 8 weeks. It took 4 LCs and my mother, and the support of this board to encourage me to seek more help, before we were successful. So I would urge you to seek in person help, before you give up on trying to nurse. EP'g is very hard, and I admire you for doing it.

It actually sounds like you're doing great. You're pumping a little more than I was at that stage. Not to sound discouraging, but I couldn't even pump enough to feed my DS, let alone get a stash started at that stage.

If you do end up EP'g you might want to consider renting a hospital grade pump. The PIS is fine for partial pumping, but I don't think it's enough for someone who in EP'g.

The yahoo group that Anna recommended is very helpful. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about when you can decrease the number of sessions, because I was still pumping 8-9 times a day when DS finally started nursing.

HTH

Nita (wool is my crack)
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also exclusively pump. I got the same amount as you at 2 weeks. I started taking Mothers Milk tea, drank lots of water, and ate really well--plus got over my stress about not breastfeeding directly. My supply jumped up a lot. The tea is the key. I was pumping 5-6 times a day for 20 min. with my PISA. I used a hospital grade pump for a few days to compare the output w/ my PISA--it was the same! I slowly cut back to 3 pumpings a day around week 6, and I have over 1 month's supply stashed in the freezer. Every woman's milk supply varies, and I hope your output whether by pump or breastfeeding increases steadily. Now I pump between 9-14 oz. at each session. Morning pumpings are my biggest yield. And I stopped taking the tea at 6 weeks. Feeding directly is great, but we haven't had luck even with 3 LCs. The LCs stressed me out more and said stupid things like your milk will dry up by 3 months if you exclusively pump. We're nearing 3 months now, and all's well. Hope this helps! Best wishes.

I pumped exclusively for about 8 weeks due to DD having a weak suck. My supply was much lower - 1 1/2 to 3 ounces per session. It became very stressful when we started going out. IMO, it's much easier in the beginning because you tend to be home a lot. DD started to nurse pretty well at 8 weeks, but had a milk protein allergy and started vomiting breast milk. I know that even with her sucking being weaker than stronger babies, she would get more than I could pump. I was using a hospital grade pump which is supposed to be the best. I nursed her on my right side (the worst producer)one night for only about 10 minutes. She immediately vomited it all up, but it was more than I ever pumped out of that side. I have a friend who is pumping exclusively and found that her supply increased after the first few weeeks, but is now decreasing at about 22 weeks. She is determined to continue until her DD no longer needs it and I admire her for it. It is tough, but if it is your only option, I admire you for it as well. I stopped because my supply was dwindling fast and eliminating dairy was too tough when I was only getting 6-8 ounces a day!!

ITA with finding a good LC. Mine was very supportive and helped us make the decision that was best for us. Try to find someone with an open mind or they could just frustrate you. My LC supported whatever I wanted to do and actually recommended the hypoallergenic formula when all was becoming too stressful. Nursing is much easier than pumping so don't give up just yet - it's still early and my DD took to nursing like a trooper after 8 weeks of feeding with syringes and bottles only!

Good Luck and HTH,

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Judegirl!!!

Maybe Judegirl will see this. She exclusively pumped for 11+ months which totally impresses me! She could probably give you lots of good advice, but the yahoo group that Anna posted will also be a good resource. But before you call it quits on nursing, I would see 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 LCs to make sure you've at least tried the different options, especially if nursing was your first choice. It may not be easy at first, but it will be so worth it! However, that said, if you do decide to EP, then good for you for doing the extra work to provide what you think is best for your DC.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 15 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have been doing it for 6 1/2 months now for my son. We started out nursing, pumping, supplementing every meal and finally I just had to give myself a break on trying to force the nursing. I so feel for what you have been through. While I built up a great supply with just and Ameda PY (at first, a few bouts with mastitis have me barely keeping up now), I would also reccommend the hospital pump. I was getting quite a lot of milk after a week or two of EPing and by the time he was 5 weeks old I was pumping maybe 6x a day. By 2 months I was down to 4x a day, which is where I have stayed. Most will tell you that it takes about 3 months before you can start cutting back, so I'd count on that. I just happened to have an oversupply and could cut back sooner...you never know.

I agree to keep trying with the nursing. Pumping is extremely hard work and very exhausting. Very worth it, but difficult. That said, I had to relax on the nursing thing and I tried a little every day and he never got it, I stopped trying so much. Now I only nurse him if he "asks" for it. He loves it for comfort but never really got the hang of it for eating. Still, it's wonderful that we have that, even if it wasn't what I dreamed of for our nursing relationship, you know.

Good luck!
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)