Default How long does dairy stay in my system?

Ok..I'm confused. I'm away on a business trip for 6 days and it was my plan to pump and dump as I just don't have a way to store it or the time to deal with it due to meetings so...to the question.

DS has a mild cow's milk protein sensitivity and I thought "hey...let's splurge on the trip and get wild with some cheese" so I called my doctor to ask how long dairy stays in my system to see if this was a good idea or not. The nurse said that "everything" is through your system in 2-3 days so I thought I'd chow for the first couple of days and then go back to being good for the last 3 or 4 and be fine when I get back home.

Well, I was looking on kellymom.com for another question and that site says it stays in MY system for 10 days to 3 weeks.

Of course I've already had a taco with cheese, a cookie with icing today and an cheese dip (can you say overindulgence??) but if the consensus is that it sticks around I'll cut my losses now.

Thanks. Amy

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How long does dairy stay in my system?

I've read/heard it takes 2 weeks for it to get completely out of your system. Once I was dairy free totally, for the 2 weeks, and things were going well with DD, if I accidentally ate something with dairy and she had a flare up (for her it was gross poops) of symptoms, it did not take the full 2 weeks again for her to be back to okay. Definitely within a week she was fine again. So, I'd just cut your losses now and go back to dairy free. It stinks!!
    But around 7-8 months my DD was fine with me eating dairy and now she loves yogurt and cheese! So this too will probably pass. Dairy free was definitely better for my waistline!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Default RE: How long does dairy stay in my system?

Thanks Margaret! That's what I'm thinking too, but it was good to have someone agree with me. Oh well...one day was even nice.

I'm with you on the "waistline"...I weigh the least I've weighed in 10 years thanks to Jake's dairy issues. I'm still BF'ing because it's good for him, but there's a large part that's also because it's good for my thighs :-) I have to start running again to pick up the slack of the BF'ing calories and the no dairy before I can stop or it won't be pretty.

Have a great one! Amy