Default Gerber disposable nursing pads

My cousin gave me a couple of boxes of these (a light and a heavy flow), but I haven't heard much about this brand. Has anybody tried and liked them, or have any better recommendations? From what I have read here, it seems like more people prefer Lansinoh disposable, or non-disposable pads.

TIA!
    Mamma to a pretty little princess 3/06, a long awaited blessing 6/11, and a sweet surprise 11/13!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Gerber disposable nursing pads

I have a couple of boxes laying around. They are okay - you can use them at night if nothing else - but I wouldn't recommend buying more until you've tried them.

I used mostly reusable pads last time (not much leaking), but have some Lansinoh pads on hand this time that I got on clearance a while back. I've heard lots of raves about the Lansinoh.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

When in a pinch, I tried the Gerber ones and didn't like them very much (they weren't very comfortable). My favorite are the Lansinoh disposable pads. The Advent disposables are more comfortable than the Gerber, but still not as nice as the Lansinoh.

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use the medium flow disposable pads at night. I tried a bunch of other brands (including Lansinoh) but kept coming back to the Gerber ones mainly because of the generous size of the pads. I am a side sleeper and found that the other brands would end up shifting so far to the sides that they were useless. Gerber ones were the only ones big enough to ensure good coverage. Also, the absorption is good - my DD often sleeps for as long as 12-14 hours at night so I need something good and absorbent. I highly recommend them! Oh, and I also tried reusable Avent ones and they were also too small and not very absorbant.

Good luck!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

But before you go out and buy a bunch of different pads, you might want to wait until after your milk has come in. I never needed any pads at all, except for an occasional leak at night when DS started sleeping through the night (and *no* pad would have helped then!) This is probably the exception and not the norm, but I do know a couple of friends who also never needed pads.

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Agree with PP to wait til your milk comes in. Then you'll see what kind of flow you have. Personally I did NOT like Gerber. They were thick and flat, and when I was very full, rather uncomfy. Lansinoh was much better because they were shaped, but I went with the original pad rather than the new improved, which ironically are less comfy (they chafe!). I eventually ended up using non-disposables that I bought from a WAHM. I still use the Lansinoh for when all my pads are in the wash or when I'm working out.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

kath68 Guest

I used them and thought they were fine -- the box I had had various thicknesses in them, and the lightest ones were handy for me. As I recall, they didn't have any sticky stuff on the back side. For me that meant they didn't bunch up in my bra and they were easy to position as I needed. They were good when I was out and about in the world, didn't expect to leak, but wanted protection just in case.

If I were you I'd keep them and try them out. What works for some people doesn't work for others, and you will probably want to try more than one brand anyway.

ETA: I never was crazy about the resusable ones because I am laundry-challenged. I always lost them in the wash (they are worse than socks that way).