theharpers2003 Guest

Default does Ameda PY take any kind of bottles? what do you use to store EBM in the freezer?

Do I have to order extra bottles from Ameda? I'm expecting in May and trying to figure out what to register for. We got an Ameda Purely Yours from Ebay but it just came with the bare bones (actually less than the bare bones--only one bottle came with!)

thanks for your help.

infocrazy is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: does Ameda PY take any kind of bottles? what do you use to store EBM in the freezer?

Any standard size bottles. I just use the evenflo 3/$3 type bottles to pump into for fresh milk. I then pour into the Gerber breastmilk storage bags if I am going to freeze it.

I have also on occasion pumped directly into the storage bags and use twist-ties to keep them on, however, I don't think the ozs markers are super accurate so I like to pump in bottles so I have a better idea of the ozs.

HTH

Jen
    7/28/05

alaible Guest

Default RE: does Ameda PY take any kind of bottles? what do you use to store EBM in the freezer?

If you want to use Avent bottles you can purchase an adaptor that allows you to pump directly from the Ameda pump into Avent bottles. You would actually need to purchase 2 adaptors because there is only one per package. With my first DD I pumped into the ameda bottles and would then transfer to the avent bottles which was a pain and ocassionally I would spill some. The adaptor allowed me to pump directly into the bottles the baby was drinking from which saved me from haveing to wash extra bottles. I tried pumping into storage bags but that just didn't work out well for me.
    Holly

You can pump directly into any regular-size (i.e. not wide neck) bottles. I have been pumping directly into the Gerber bags, secured with a twisty tie. However, I find when the bag gets full, the weight of the milk kinds pulls the bag loose. Maybe I just didn't tie the twisty tie well enough, or maybe I was paranoid for nothing, but I always try to hold it by the twisty tie.

Another option, if you decide to use the Playtex bottles, get the Playtex premium newborn gift set. It comes with an adaptor, and you can pump directly into a Playtex liner or bottle (the wide neck type). I believe this adaptor will also work with other wide neck bottles. I tried it with the Gerber wide neck (Comfort Hold) and it works.

Also, I might just be an oddball, but I prefer single pumping. I find the suction not strong enough when I double pump, so I always pump one breast at a time. I am probably just weird.
    ________
    Chrysler Lh Platform History
    Last edited by mshen; 02-19-2011 at 07:31 AM.