Default Does your baby have weird looking stools when eating bananas? Normal?

I noticed that every time DS eats bananas, his stool contains black thread-like substance. I freaked out the first time I saw it. My pediatrician was not helpful or sympathetic at all so we switched. Luckily we have lots of doctor friends who told me not to worry but none of them can pinpoint what's causing this. I'm guessing it's the bananas. Anyone have the same situation? Is this common? Oh, DS happened to be sick the two times I found the black substance in his stool. First time, he had diarrhea. Thank you.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Does your baby have weird looking stools when eating bananas? Normal?

Yep - the "strings" and seeds come through and turn black like peeled banana that has sat out too long. I can always identify banana poo! :-) Depending on the age of the child, more or less is digested. With diarrhea, the "transit time" is shorter, so less will be digested, especially fiberous parts like the strings.

jennifer_r is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Does your baby have weird looking stools when eating bananas? Normal?

I agree w/the PP. It's just the seeds in the bananas; my DD gets it all the time. Nothing to worry about.

Jennifer

Mom to:
    Christopher 12/29/89
    Adelaide 8/23/04
    Bronwyn 11/9/05

Yep, just wanted to agree w/previous posters. We definitely noticed this, too.
    DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

Wait until your DS starts eating other foods such as carrots and corn (if he isn't already). I can usually tell what my DS is eating at daycare because of his "colorful" poops. ;)

Default RE: THANK YOU

Thank you so much for sharing. I should've turned to this board sooner. I'm so relieved. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.