Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lynettesmall Guest

Default Is a little breast milk better than none at all?

I'm having majoy problems with my supply..My baby is 7 weeks old and the first 4 weeks were fine. She got all breast milk, with only maybe an ounce of formula here and there for the first 4 weeks.

Now she is eating about 5 ounces at a feeding and I am only able to pump one ounce at a time, so the other four ounces she gets are formula. I am feeling extremely guilty and like I have failed. Should I just give up on the pumping and only give her formula, or is even a small amount of breast milk worth it for her?

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Is a little breast milk better than none at all?

Are you exclusively pumping? Is she not able to latch on at all? Your baby is much more efficient at stimulating your supply than a pump. If there is any way to nurse her directly, I'd try to do that as much as possible to build your supply back up. You can also look into supplements like fenugreek and eat oatmeal!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

lynettesmall Guest

I am exclusively pumping as I have a toddler and am going back to work soon and cannot possibly exclusively nurse her. I have a PIS pump which was great in the beginning. I did stop off at the store tonight and by some Fenugreek. I was taking that before and ran out. Maybe that is the solution.

What is the deal with oatmeal?

I guess what I am really asking is if I should just give up pumping at all...is just a few ounces of breastmilk worth it?

Any bit of breast milk provides benefits. You may want to contact a lactation consultant who may be able to help you resolve your issue. The following website allows you to search for one in your area:
    http://www.ilca.org/
    I know I found one who helped me in the beginning with latch and then later on with issues I had relating to pumping. The right LC can make a huge difference. However if it ends up not working out for you though do not beat yourself up about it! You can only give it your best try.

Good Luck!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

First, congratulation on the birth of your baby! :)

Hugs to you- sounds like you're having a tough time. Try not to beat yourself up over it, and don't give up! You can still turn it around.

YES! Every drop of bm your baby gets is worth it!

Have you checked out kellymom yet? Here's a link for some relevant info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

The advice you've gotten so far is good- the absolute best thing you can do to fix this is get the baby to nurse directly. I know you said you can't nuse exclusively, but what about part time at least? It doesn't have to be all or nothing!

More info:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...s-pumping.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Hope this helps. Hang in there- you can do it! Remember, you can always come here if you need suppoort.

Best of luck,
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Another congrats on your new baby! You've gotten great advice here. I would suggest getting your baby to nurse directly whenever you're together, rather than pumping and feeding from a bottle -- that just sounds soooo hard, I can't imagine trying to keep up with all of that while you also have another small child to care for. Save the pumping/bottles for the times when you're actually apart. And find a good LC. That could make a world of difference.

Whatever happens, you are doing great. Don't feel guilty!

Katia
    DS 2003 and DD 2006
    Katia

scoop22 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

first of all congrats! and even more for keeping up with pumping while the going gets tough. you have some really good advice from pp. i have to agree any little bit helps. i mainly pumped. i was able to feed ds in the morning. that was our time. then i pumped the rest of the day. i struggled with this. it was very time consuming.just remember you are offering your baby everything you got. you are doing such a good thing for your baby. i have to say the oatmeal worked for me. i hate oatmeal but i made cookies. i know now the best thing but well worth it for my supply. i would also suggest you talk with someone. i hope things get better for you. every little bit helps.
    http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

lynettesmall Guest

Thanks everyone!

I had oatmeal for breakfast and am back on the Fenugreek. I am increasing my water supply and nursed her this morning. I have noticed a slight increase in my supply, so I will be patient and see if it continues to increase.

Again, thanks for all of the support! :)

That's wonderful!! You're doing a great job!
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you are exclusively pumping, I'd also suggest that you get a hospital grade rental pump. The PIS is good for some pumping, but not exclusive pumping. The hospital grade pump will help maintain your supply.

I also found it much easier to nurse my second when chasing my first (at least compared to pumping and giving a bottle - since you really need to pump EVERY time you give a bottle at this stage)! And even when you go back to work, you can nurse in the morning, evening and overnight, plus on weekends, and just pump while you are at work.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast