kcgirl is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Toddler won't drink Pedialyte -- other suggestions??

My toddler won't drink Pedialyle, and I can see why -- it tastes awful!!! I believe Gatorade has too much sugar in it. How are the Gerber brand liquilytes? Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Toddler won't drink Pedialyte -- other suggestions??

Water is excellent for hydration, and cheap. Will he drink straight water? You can put a small spritz of non-citrus juice in there for a little flavor and color. Jell-O, broth, herbal teas are all great sources of fluids. Also watermelon.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

What about the Propel water by Gatorade? Low sugar (my contain splensa or another flavored water blend?

DD hated pedialyte too. Would eat the frozen push ups though! Have you tried those?
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine would only drink the 'unflavored' ones, so you might try those if you haven't. I think we did Gerber the last time we needed them. I also had success with half water half pedialyte so the flavor wasn't so strong.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Gerber worked for us over Pedialyte. Apple flavor. We also got Pedialyte pops to see if the frozen aspect would help over drinking. We had mixed success and if we are in a rehydration situation again I may try homemade frozen flavored water bars and buy an electrolyte water for it such as Smartwater.

duvie is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

There was just an interesting article in the Sunday NY Times about how Pedialyte has become many athletes' drink of choice even though they hate the taste. Gatorade has much more sugar and fewer electrolytes, but as PP suggested, Gatorade Propel is basically equivalent to Pedialyte. My pediatrician said not to worry about Pedialyte unless DS is really really sick (lots of diarreah and vomiting). Flat gingerale is also an option.