anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Juice and preschool?

Hi all,
    Just needed your sage opinions on this critical issue (well, opinion may vary on how critical it is ;)).
    DD just started pre-school (sob, sob - I'm still trying to get used to it) and I was told that they provide 100% juice with snack occasionally (water otherwise). She only goes two days a week so she might have juice at worst 4 times a month.
    I don't give DD juice at all so I was thinking of getting her those juice boxes with water in them that someone mentioned earlier, so that she doesn't feel left out but doesn't drink juice either.
    But I'm wondering if I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Is the occasional juice box really a concern? DH says not a big deal but he's fine with whatever I decide. I feel like I don't want her to get into the habit of drinking juice. We rarely drink juice at home.
    What is a worry-wart mom to do? Help me get some perspective!
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Juice and preschool?

I was really anti juice for ds. But, when he went to preschool I had the same inner debate as you are having. I opted to go for just letting him drink the juice at school since I didn't think 4oz 2-3 times a week was really going to be a major detriment. I just kept it a preschool thing; we never bought juice for home.

Btw, they didn't do juice boxes at school so I don't think your little one will need to have a water box to not feel left out. Plus, in my experience, they don't notice or care what each other is eating or drinking.

Beth

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our preschool rotates milk juice and water depending on the day. They serve everything in small "dixie" cups ( you know those small paper cups you keep in the bathroom) If a child askes for a refill they will give it but they usually encourage the child to finish their drink before tossing their cup ( but dont require them to finish it). But if a child askes for water/milk instead they will give it. Our preschool is great about not giving your child things you request them not to have BUT you have to supply alternate things for those days. ( we dont do goldfish, cheesecrackers, flavored popcorn etc due to the food dyes)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I think the juice box would be more likely to make her feel left out. Our experience has been that the juice with snack is more about pouring and taking turns practice than the actual drink. They usually gather around little tables with a limited amount of juice in a little pitcher and tiny tiny dixie cups to drink out of. It's pretty cute actually, and having a different drink in a box of their own would sort of miss the point I think. The juice makes it a little special, since they have unlimited access to water. And the last thing a preschool teacher wants is a room of sugar-crazed kids, so they have no incentive to give the kids too much :).

-M

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am the same way. I had a hard time getting past the "juice" thing last year with DS as we rarely have juice in our house. If the kids DO drink juice at home it pretty much just flavors the water ~ a splash of juice to a cup of water. The kids/parents provide snack at our school. I asked the teachers to heavily dilute teh juice for my DC so they wouldn't feel left out ~ still get juice but Mommy's way. Whenever we bring snack, I send in skim milk. Sometimes there isn't any left and sometimes there is a ton...depends on the day. If they do not like it, it is a "water" day. If the kids should have full-stength juice at school, I would not be pleased BUT my kids know that they do not get juice at home and that is the rule. A few times a month isn't a big deal for me, I guess. Good luck.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

i just can't see how juice FOUR times per month would really damage your child or create a habit. but if 100% juice-free is a hard and fast rule for you, then just ask the teacher to give your kiddo water. you are the parent and it is your choice.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To me 4 times a month would be no big deal.

I was pretty adament about DD not drinking juice at daycare for quite a while. All was well until she realized she was getting something different from the other kids and threw a HUGE hissy fit spilling her water everywhere in the process. DD was 18 months at the time. I figured it was okay for her to get watered down juice (which daycare did anyway) once a day there since we don't drink juice at home. At this point DD is 2.5yo and very active, so I am not worried about the few extra calories from the juice as she definitely burns them off.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Thanks for taking time to reply

I appreciate all the answers.
    D'oh!!! (Slapping forehead!)I was under the impression that they would give them the full juice boxes but of course, you are all right. They probably only give it to them in cups.
    That makes me feel much better - I can live with some juice once in a while. I'm not really that anal (no, really ;)) but DD has some issues with gaining weight so I try to make sure everything she gets is high-calorie.
    As a PP said, I think DD will get it if I tell her she can get juice at school but not at home.
    I can't make it through the first day of preschool without freaking out. What will I do when she starts kindergarten and gulp! college.
    Thanks again,
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius