Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Spring/Summer Salads (pasta, potato, veggie, etc.) - POST YOURS

With the onset of warmer weather and the promise of fresh local produce, I am excited to hear about your favorite salads and side dishes. Is there one salad without which your BBQ would be incomplete? Do you have one or two "go-two" recipes when you are invited to a cookout or potluck dinner?

I look forward to swapping recipes with you!

Stephanie

nathansmom Guest

Default RE: Spring/Summer Salads (pasta, potato, veggie, etc.) - POST YOURS

I make a cucumber/tomato/onion salad everyday during the summer. It's a quick and easy salad to make and you can mix it up.

1 cucumber cut in half the long way then sliced thin
    2 medium sized tomato's chopped (you can seed if you don't like seeds)
    1/2 red onion or sweet onion sliced thinly
    mix together in a bowl. season with garlic salt and pepper to your taste. sit to the side.
    dressing:
    1/2 cup vinegar (any type works although I prefer apple cider, I don't like balsamic in this)
    1/2 cup sugar (oops I forgot the measurement)
    1/4 cup water (or less, make it to your taste)
    about 3 tablespoons olive oil
    whatever seasonings you like (I use oregano, basil, and garlic)
    whisk together and pour over the veggies. Stir. You can serve this at room temperature but I think it tastes even better cold.

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Question on the recipe!

This sounds so good - I might have to make it next weekend when we have company (if I can find some decent looking cucumbers and tomatoes, that is -- they're a little scarce in Michigan right now).

Anyway, what is the measure for the sugar? You just put 1/2. 1/2 cup seems like a lot, but 1/2 tsp. or tbsp. doesn't seem like much.

Thanks for sharing
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

nathansmom Guest

Default RE: Question on the recipe!

I do use 1/2 cup of sugar but I know that my sister has cut the sugar to 1/4 cup with success so you may be able to use less. Basically the dressing is sort of a sweet-sour taste.

Default Dilled Potato Salad

I got this recipe from a Country Cooking magazine and have taken it to several picnics, etc. It is the best potato salad I have ever tasted.

Dilled Potato Salad

3 pounds potatoes -- about 8 medium
    6 hard boiled eggs -- chopped
    3 celery ribs -- chopped
    6 green onions -- chopped
    2-4 medium dill pickles --chopped.
    1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
    1/4 cup dill pickle juice
    4 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Hard Boiled Eggs: Place eggs in cold water, bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, let stand 20 minutes, then chill under cold running water.

Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. (Boiling potatoes whole in skin yields more tender potatoes).

Peel and cube potatoes, place in large bowl. Add the eggs, celery, onions and pickles. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, celery seed,salt and pepper. Pour over the potatoe mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Optional: Garnish with chopped fresh dill

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Cranberry Walnut Tabbouleh

Here is my recent favorite. It's from Cooking Light.

Cranberry Walnut Tabbouleh

1 cup bulgur wheat
    1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup minced red onion
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
    1 1/2 tablespoons walnut oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine bulgur and cranberries in a medium bowl. Add 1 cup boiling water, and let stand 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff bulgur mixture with a fork. Stir in chopped parsley and the remaining ingredients, and toss gently to combine.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

CALORIES 164(30% from fat); FAT 5.4g (sat 0.5g,mono 1.1g,poly 3.5g); PROTEIN 3.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 22mg; SODIUM 299mg; FIBER 5.6g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27g
    Cooking Light, MAY 2004

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Napa Cabbage Slaw

This is my absolute favorite summer/BBQ salad recipe. The dressing has a little kick, but I aways feel so gourmet when I make it. I think I originally got it from Sunset magazine:

Crunchy Napa Cabbage Slaw

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 hour

MAKES: About 14 cups; 14 to 16 servings

2/3 cup slivered almonds

8 cups (about 1 lb.) coarsely shredded napa cabbage

12 ounces snow peas, strings removed, rinsed and thinly sliced

1 1/3 cups thinly sliced radishes

1 1/3 cups thinly sliced green onions (including green tops)

1 1/3 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed

Creamy soy dressing (recipe follows)

1. Place almonds in a 9-inch cake pan. Bake in a 350° oven until golden, shaking pan once, 6 to 9 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, snow peas, radishes, green onions, and cilantro.

3. Add dressing and almonds to cabbage mixture; mix gently to coat. Pour into a serving bowl.

Creamy soy dressing

In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 clove peeled and minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne; stir until sugar dissolves. Gradually whisk in 1 cup mayonnaise, stirring until blended.

Per cup: 185 cal., 78% (144 cal.) from fat; 2.9 g protein; 16 g fat (2.2 g sat.); 8.7 g carbo (1.8 g fiber); 172 mg sodium; 9.3 mg chol.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Chicken Peas and Pasta Salad

I just had this at a resturant and it was fantastic. I haven't tried to recreate it yet so I don't know amounts, but I thought that I would share. Here is the description--

Chicken Peas and Pasta

Angel hair pasta tossed with poached chicken, peas, sun-dried tomatoes and red onions with balsamic vinaigrette

It was served cold.
    Kim

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Tortellini Salad

This one is super duper easy and you can easily substitute fresh veggies.

1 bag frozen tortellini
    1 bag frozen broccoli
    1 bag frozen cauliflower
    1 can olives
    1 chopped tomato
    Dressing to taste
    Grated cheese of choice

Cook tort. while defrosting broc. and cauliflower in a strainer. Pour hot water and tort. over veggies. Add tomato, and olives and toss with dressing. (We usually use Italian for parties, but we use just balsamic vinegar for us.) Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
    Kim

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Tomato, Basil, Mozzerella Pasta salad (very easy)

I do a really simple pasta salad. I don't have exact amounts but here's the general idea:

I usually cook 2 boxes of pasta (fun shapes), sometimes throwing in some heated/fresh cheese stuffed tortellini to the mix too. Let this cool thoroughly.

Take two pints or so of grape tomatoes. I usually halve all of the tomatoes.

Chop some fresh basil...I like lots of it. Reserve a little for garnish.

Chop up two big hunks of mozzerella. I sometimes do fresh mozzerella and sometimes stuff like Sargento. Cut into bite-sized cubes. I sometimes grate in a little asiago or chop some provolone into it depending on my mood.

When pasta is cool, add basil, cheese, and tomatoes to it. Toss with some Italian dressing (bottled or make your own). Cover (don't use foil) and refrigerate. I prefer to make it a day in advance because the flavors build up nicely that way. Adjust dressing before serving (may need more). Top with a sprig or two of fresh basil on top before serving. You can also add a little garlic powder and stir that in if you want.

This is totally simple and easy and there's nothing to it but when you have access to really delicious tomatoes and basil in the summertime, it is delicious. It is something we make from our trips to the farmer's market :) Oh, and pretty kid friendly too.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast