anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Best baking books?

I have faithfully followed the 'Pillsbury complete book of baking' for all my baking (my absolute favorite book) but now that I feel more confident about baking, maybe I should branch out :)
    Why I like this book -
    It covers pretty much everything - cookies to bread. I have consistently been able to produce scrumptious baked goods (people in DH's old workplace loved me - I baked so many cookies and cakes for them). It's organized very well and the instructions are easy to follow.
    I'm hoping to find one which has more healthful recipes or suggestions for healthier substitutions. I'm too chicken to mess around with substitutions when it comes to baking.
    So please share your faves.
    TIA,
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Default RE: Best baking books?

My favorite baking book is King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion. It covers a very broad spectrum and has a tons of helpful information. It has a wonderful chapter explaining ingredients and lots of technique tips. However, many of the desserts don't exactly fall into the healthy category. They do have great recipes for multigrain breads and things since they are a flour company. King Arthur also has some great recipes on their website as well. Their free traveling baking show is definitely worth going to if it comes to your neighborhood :)

I'd suggest looking at the healthy magazines for recipes at the library. I know many of the cooking & baking magazines publish yearbooks.

MsKitty

I knew someone was going to be asking this question soon! ;) I’m a cookbook lover and have read *MANY*. I check them out at the library first so I only buy the best. My collection so far includes timeless classics. (mostly) It all started when I read a review off Amazon by B. Marlod. I had no idea there was such a crazy cookbook world out there lol! I made a binder of his reviews that I like to flip through when it comes time to visit the library or convince DH why I’d like to purchase a particular book.

Here are my baking favs:
    Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor…by Dorie Greenspan
    Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Deserts
    Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Chocolate Desserts
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...549630-5053524

I also like Martha Stewart’s new Baking Handbook and The King Arthur Flour Baking Companion. It looks like they are going to release a new book out soon with nutrition in mind. That would be worth a look-see.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...549630-5053524

There are a ton of great books on baking, so have fun shopping! Just read a B. Marlod review first before taking the plunge.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile...549630-5053524

HTH
    Rebekah

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I'll second the King Arthur book - it's wonderful! Their Cookie Companion cookbook is equally good. Healthy? Well, maybe not, but SOOOO worth it. ;)

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want a penpal for your BBB kiddo? Send an email to:
    [email protected] **

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks all. I will check the books out.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius