Default Help freezing cabbage rolls

Can anyone please enlighten me on how to best freeze cabbage rolls?

The recipe I usually use is for the crock pot (from Saving Dinner). Normally, I would parboil the cabbage, stuff if with a meat/rice mixture (uncooked), top it with a tomato sauce mixture and the rest of the shredded cabbage, and cook.

So at what step do I freeze? I planned to follow the same steps, but freeze just before cooking. Will that work? Here are my questions specifically-

Do I still parboil the cabbage before freezing?
    Do I freeze the rolls with the sauce, or put the sauce in a separate bag to freeze, and pour over the cabbage rolls before cooking?
    Can I freeze uncooked, and then put the rolls into the crockpot (either frozen or thawed) to cook?
    Or do I need to cook first, then freeze?
    If I cook first, how do I cook in the oven instead of in the crock pot?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate your help!

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Help freezing cabbage rolls

I come from a long line of cabbage roll makers (Ukrainian family!) and the way I have seen it done is the following:

Prepare the cabbage rolls as you normally would if you were going to bake it right away. Roll the rice/meat/whatever in the boiled cabbage, and then put the cabbage rolls into a plastic bag or freezer container. Store the sauce/tomato mixture separately, and then when you go to prepare the rolls, take them out a few hours prior and let them thaw. Then put the thawed rolls into your roaster (or I guess crockpot?) and pour the sauce over and cook. My mom does it that way very successfully!

Good luck!

Susan
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

Default RE: Help freezing cabbage rolls

Thanks for the info! I was afraid they would be too mushy, so glad to hear they turn out ok.