Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Make ahead freezer foods?

Now that I"ve realized that this is probably the most energy I will have for quite awhile, I've kicked it into high gear and am trying to prepare for the more difficult days.

So, I'm trying to find some good recipes that I can make ahead and freeze. We like almost anything- in fact, DH gets bored really quickly so I"m looking for some unique dishes that can be made ahead and frozen.

Oh, and does anyone know how long you can safely store (in a deep freezer) home made foods?

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Default RE: Make ahead freezer foods?

I have quite a few casseroles and such if you want to pm me. I just don't want to take up a bunch of space with a lot of recipes.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Some ones I cooked to freeze before DD was born, but they aren't terribly unique.

Meatballs (for sandwiches and with pasta)

Meatloaf (can freeze raw or precooked, some people like it one way vs. the other)

Weekly, I roast two chickens, debone, chop the chicken into chunks, and freeze in medium size pyrex containers. That is a great starter for chicken salad, used in a quesadilla, or just to have plain with some sides, or tossed in at the end of a stir fry, etc. I sometimes reheat this with some of the Trader Joe's simmer sauces (mojito, thai curry, etc.). Can add some to a crockpot w/ bbq sauce for bbq chicken sandwiches

Sloppy Joes, because my 3 year old is a big fan (I just use ketchup, mustard, lemon juice, and brown sugar for my sauce)

You can prebrown ground meat and freeze. Again a great starter for other stuff. Can be made into soft or regular tacos, quesadillas, thrown over some pasta, etc.

Those aren't terribly unique but I usually do freezer meals that way. They aren't totally complete, but it drastically cuts the work. You can also take them a step further and just freeze that way (add simmer sauce to the chicken and then freeze, or add bbq sauce to the chicken and then freeze).

I'm not sure on the guidelines for long term storage in a deep freeze, but I'm pretty sure at least 6 months is fine. I know some people will go out to a year as long as it is a deep freeze, although at that point you may get some sacrifice of flavor/quality.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I like to make a batch of tiny meatballs. Freeze them individually by lining them on a plate or cookie sheet then drop into a zipper bag when already frozen--keeps them from sticking together. You can use them for pasta, soup with some veggies and noodles/rice, sandwiches, Swedish meatballs.

The other thing I find versatile and easy to do is to make sort of a meat sauce with some sort of ground meat (I usually use turkey) sauteed with onions and crushed tomatoes and chili powder. I'll put this into quart sized zipper bags and freeze them flat. You can use this as a base for chili (I add beans and corn and service with some rice). It can be a topping for a baked regular or sweet potato, spruce it up with some cheese on top. You can also use it as a taco filling or for sloppy joes.

Default Cookbook Recommendations

Super Suppers inspired me to get my act together. Their meals are my fall back, or 'treats' and the rest of the days I have things I found in the following cookbooks I got originally from the Library...
    Super Suppers (not a lot I actually liked in it, but like what I make at the store)
    Dream Dinners (I have it from the library now, and need to go shop for things)
    Don't Panic, Dinner is in the Freezer (LOVE, got from the library, then ordered my own copy.)

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default My favorite freezer-cooking cookbook is...

The Everything Meals For a Month Cookbook, by Linda Larsen. I also found this as a special Borders-only edition in the bookstore ($9.95), with the slightly different name 'Meals for a Month'.

I have been using and collecting these kinds of cookbooks for years, and this is my favorite! Like many cookbooks in this genre, it has a helpful chapter on the how, what, & why's of freezing foods. There are many other good freezer cookbooks out there, and all have a slightly different style of recipes, so I'd recommend going to the bookstore or library and flipping through them to see which one suits you & your family's tastes best. I'm also a big fan of the meal-prep places, and go every other month or so to bolster my freezer stash. We have a small cube freezer in the basement to hold all the treasures; it was only about $150 at Sears.

Hope you can find something that works for you! :-)

Chris

Default RE: My favorite freezer-cooking cookbook is...

I've been comparing the reviews of the cookbook you mentioned as well as the ones of the pp. I'm seriously considering ordering one from Amazon.com, but won't see one IRL so I really can't compare them all (and I"m too tired to drag my kids to the library- pathetic, I know). I'm looking for recipes of what I call "one dish wonders." In other words, dishes that don't really need a side I'd have to prepare. Dishes like lasagna, enchiladas, chicken potpie, shepard's pie, etc. You know, the ones that have the meat, starch and vegies all in there.

Some of these cookbooks apparently have more recipes for the main dish - like marinating chicken and how to freeze it- but I'd still have to figure out what to serve beside that and I don't want to have to do that. I'm already having a hard enough time planning my crockpot meals ahead, kwim?

Do you know which cookbook contains more recipes for "one dish wonders?" Any help would be appreciated.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I looked through my cookbooks, and I still recommend the one from my earlier post. I'd say about 1/3 of the recipes include veggies, from stews to soups to pot pies, casseroles and the like. My other cookbooks were more single entree types. However, having cooked this way for a while, there are some tricks you can use to boost your veggies (which you may have already discovered in your crockpot cooking).

The main challenge with all-in-one dishes is that the veggies can turn out mushy. For things like carrots and spinach, it doesn't really matter. However, for veggies like broccoli, squash, tomatoes, etc., they don't turn out too well if overcooked. With just about any casserole, particularly layered ones, you can always add a layer of spinach (thaw the frozen kind and squeeze the water out first). For saucy dishes that simmer in a skillet, or stir fries, add some baby carrots, zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, or peas. (Some of these you can keep on hand frozen, like peas, mixed veggies, etc., some are better fresh --- broccoli and baby carrots are good and keep for a while in the refrigerator.)

Another option is frozen veggies as a side dish option to more traditional meat entrees. Have you tried any of the new Steamfresh vegetables? All you have to do is throw the bag in the microwave and turn it on. They are not too expensive and often on sale.

And then there's salad. I buy a bag of three romaine hearts, and that keeps for a while in the refrigerator. Pre-washed bagged salads are also good, but don't keep as long. A spin-off of that is the easy tomato-and-cucumber salad: just chop and add some apple cider vinegar and a bit of olive oil (salt & pepper optional), and there's your side dish.

I also sent you a PM with a bit more info. Hope you can find something that works! I have 3 DCs under 5, so I know where you are coming from!

-Chris

Thanks for your help. i think I'll go ahead and get that the cookbook you recommended.

I have tried the precut greenbeans that are ready to nuke but no one in my family eats them. Even with some sort of butter or tomato sauce on them. I do buy the prepaired bagged salads and DH loves them. And so do I (what's not to love about emptying a bag into a dish and stirring in the dressing?).

I don't worry so much about the vegies- the kids love a vegetable juice called VRUIT. So, at least I know they are getting their vegies in one form or another. It's just that I hate the coordinating of all the various elements. When I"m tired I just want to either stick something in the oven or the microwave and not worry about it.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a packet of recipes I use. I tried to email you, but your profile is disabled. Email me and I'll send it to you.

I love freezer cooking. It makes mealtime so easy and my grocery bill has gone WAY down!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast