Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Quick meals to make in hotel room

We're on vacation for 9 days and we have a kitchen in the room. Last vacation, I just did breakfast (cereal) and lunch for DS (mac n cheese, grilled cheese sandwich) and snacks. But after a few days, I got tired of eating out all the time, especially as when we're with people with no-kids, they take forever to leave for the restaurant etc. Any suggestions for what I could make for lunch or dinner - I'll go to the supermarket on our first day to stock up. I just need some ideas, and then I can take some recipes if I need them.

I have:

pasta and tomato sauce
    rotisserie chicken and vegetables
    mac n cheese
    hot dogs

??? drawing a blank ???

Thanks.

Default RE: Quick meals to make in hotel room

Any sort of sandwiches (deli meats and cheeses, tuna salad, chicken salad, etc)
    Cut up veggies and dip
    Tacos or nachos
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Bagel pizzas
    Sandwiches
    Dare I say spaghetti o's? -huge treat in this house
    frozen raviolli and sauce
    stir fry - buy frozen packs
    Cereal can be breakfast/lunch or dinner in this house, or oatmeal
    Scrambled eggs is a big request here, throw in some turkey sauce if you are feeling like you want to spice it up
    Applesauce is a meal for my 1 year old, he won't eat much of anything

For us vacation = eat what you want, when you want it with little effort. Balanced diet goes out the door I confess a bit

Thanks for the suggestions. I've added them to my shopping list. I definitely want to eat without much effort.

We eat out with DS alot, but we're aware of his window of time. Our family will take forever to get ready to go, then we're at the restaurant and with a bigger party it takes longer for the food, everyone without kids can actually eat their meal slowly, and DS is always done 30-45 mins before anyone else. I always end up taking him outside and then the parents with older kids, send their kids out to me while they sit and chat! This time, I'm going to limit eating out. DH won't like it, but I'm just done trying to occupy DS, and have him behave for 2+ hours. You sit down, you order, you eat and you leave as quickly as you can when you've got kids under 4!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

salad kits in a bag - caesar, taco, asian etc. you could buy some pre-cooked chicken to make it more substantial.

cans or aseptic boxes of soup (trader joe's has some good ones) and crusty bread.

More good ideas. Thank you, added to my shopping list.