ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Urgent Help! Crock Pot whole chicken & veggies MISHAP

I had it on High 1 hour. Dh turned it off 4 hrs ago, instead of Low. Is it ok to put in oven or should I toss. How do I cook it in the oven? Its a 4lb whole chicken w/ mushrooms, onions and carrots on the bottom. Do I keep it covered and in the same crock pot container?

Thanks!
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Default RE: Urgent Help! Crock Pot whole chicken & veggies MISHAP

Take the temp w/ an instant-read thermometer. If it's at least 120...you might be okay if you cook the dickens out of it and all parts read 180-190 when you're done.

In general, you should throw it out, but there is a possibility that it got warm enough to really cook it that first hour and then have retained some major heat. If it's anywhere near under 100....toss, toss, toss. Ask yourself: Is a $5 chicken loss worth a $500 emergency room visit if it has grown bacteria, esp salmonella?

Thank you! Well, it's been an a 350 degree preheated oven for 5 minutes, so who knows now on the temp

I just called whole foods and given the crock pot, he said I can cook it in the crock or oven. I wanted it brought to temp faster, so i'll do oven. he said 350 for 1 1/2 hrs, covered in same pot but add 1 - 2 cups liquid. (at first he said toss it, b/c it was out 4 hrs, but after realizing it was on high 1 hr, and stayed in crock pot heater covered, he thought it would be ok to cook

My mom called her chicken guru friend and she said 375 1 hr covered. I moved it to 375 and will do 1 hr at 375.

Any other thoughts? i have an hour to decide to chuck it before eating....

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I wouldn't eat it. But that's just me. I just do not mess around with that kind of thing. It's just not worth it. I'd rather eat PB&J for dinner than be as sick as it *could* make me.
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old

Well, we ate it. The thighs were 188 degrees and the breasts 183. It tasted ok. I feel better when i know i'm ok tomorrow. Dh had much more than me. DD was screaming to have some. DH gave her a few bites. Thanks all! Here's hoping!!! I'll keep you updated

You're so funny. Hoping and praying you're all just fine. Cooking it again is the important part. As long as it stayed warm I'd have done the same thing. Keep us posted t'morrow

Are you all ok?

Sorry - i didn't get these posts when they moved my thread.

Thanks!!!!

Yup, We're fine.

I gotta say, I'm not going to eat any today. I'm sure dh will. The nerves last night waiting to see if I'd get sick, wasn't worth it either.