Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Seitvonzu Guest

Default Anyone try "g" diapers?

Has anyone every ordered from g diaper? We plan on doing cloth diapering, but these seem like a good "portable" solution for when we are away from home...apparently you can use the covers for normal cloth diapers as well? anyone have any experience?

i'll probably just order a sample pack to give them a try, and hopefully those covers will work in general even if i don't like the flushables....

advice?

egan284 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone try "g" diapers?

I don't have any experience with this diaper, but there are lots of reviews on it. Here's one: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=gdiaper

I believe I've read some review about it here as well. You might want to do some search here.

We're due at the end of the year and I've been interested in gdiapers since before I even thought about getting pregnant.

Since getting pregnant, we've began to stock up but were still apprehensive about using them. This past weekend, we were lucky enough to have our new niece around and her mom was more than willing to let us use her as a guinea pig.

The results were good enough to keep me stocking up. :) After almost witnessing her pampers runneth over, she tried the gdiaper with NO leakage.

We were happy to see that all is well in the green land of gdiapers.

I've read around some sites that some mom's are using the little g pants to place a folded cloth diaper into instead of the flushable liner. We plan on doing this and going between the g's and cloth in the g's.

If you'd like to read my husband's take on the whole thing, you can check out our family's website at www.lammlelounge.com

Feel free to contact us with questions as well. We're so excited about the little one on the way that we can't stop talking about it or the greening of our life with a little one.

cyllie Guest

Yes! I like them, and use the g-diaper vinyl liner and pants with a prefold for daytime use. When we travel, we use the flushables. I love the gdiapers. They're very trim and cute. I have a heavy wetter, so we can't use them at night, and I do have to change him (9 mo old) within 2-3 hours or so or I get leaks. One GREAT thing about the gdiapers is that they are really GREAT at containing poop blowouts. With disposables, they would go right out all over the baby's clothing. With g-diapers, it gets held in. I would definitely recommend trying them. The company is wonderful. They have EXCELLENT customer service and there is a Yahooo group that is very active on diaper as well as other green issues. Good luck!

Seitvonzu Guest

Thanks for your response! :)

I went ahead and took advantage of their sale prices on some closeout covers and got one in medium (red) and large (green). I also bought a small sized starter kit. They've shipped and I can't wait for them to arrive!

I think we are also going to go with the prefold option unless we are travelling. Do you have a company you like particularly well for ordering prefolds? Today I discovered "www.comfybummy.com" which seemed pretty comprehensive, but of course I'm open to recommendations.

What do you do at night? I did join the yahoo group and have been enjoying it. Currently I'm on the "digest" option, but i might go to individual messages eventually.

Thanks again!

Seitvonzu Guest

Hi!
    I really enjoyed reading about your family's gdiapering experiment! (it was particularly fun because we plan on using the name Lucy if we have a girl-- great choice by your SIL :)

I did go ahead and place a gdiaper order. I was also happy to see that our "natural foods" store in the area offers gdiapers-- though i still need to locate said store and make sure that is true. We are doing the cloth thing as a "green" move, but it helps alot that it can be as affordable, or much cheaper than disposables... i just need to keep from getting caught up in the frenzy of buying cute diaper covers!!! the mountain of trash that disposables creates convinced me to go this route... the frugality and the idea of not having "plastic" on the baby, convinced DH.

what other "greening" are you doing? i've been trying to convince my hubby that we can live with one car... (our current, most "green" practice), but there really are days its hard now, even though we don't have a baby. i'm planning on breastfeeding, again- it's amazing how doing the most "natural" earth-friendly things, are also the best for baby.

it does seem to take over doesn't it? this morning i spent about an hour looking at moby wraps!?!?!? and i *swore* that i wasn't a person that would let "baby" take over!

Seitvonzu Guest

Thank you! I checked out the link you posted-- I'm nearly overwhelmed with all the info available on "alternative" diapering.

Thankfully it just makes me more determined to do what's right for the planet... I've already recieved lots of groans from the previous generations (our mother's age) about my "crazy" notion to cloth diaper! I don't think they understand that's it's much easier and less messy now :) plus-- you don't have to use PINS!!!! my mom said "the first time you stick that baby, you'll change your tune...and feel HORRIBLE"

ack- i wonder how many times i was stuck? hehe

Our greening is centered around the baby and then spreading outward. For one, I'm looking into wooden toys, rather than plastics (the stuffed animals are an exception, of course), and I'm considering making my own baby wipes and using cloth for wipes.

We're already cloth napkin users, and I'm hoping to convince the husband to get rid of his paper plates and paper towels. I don't mind the dishes and it's less trash.

We're also trying to use refillable bottles and mugs for water rather than purchasing bottled water all the time. We're fortunate enough to have a fridge with filtered water on the front, as well as using our brita pitcher for water. (the tap water here tastes like poo.)

I'm always open to additoinal greening suggestions. Due to where we live, having only one car isn't an option, unfortunately. There is no mass transit system that can reach us and take us to our needed destinations.

Do you think a diaper doubler would work instead of a pre-fold? I'm looking at the site mentioned above - comfybummy.com and the doublers look to be the perfect size to fit into the little g pants.

Seitvonzu Guest

Isn't it funny? I've really started thinking "green" since becoming pregnant too. I've been looking around at little things we can change-- the cloth napkins (check!), refillable water (we've always had a brita pitcher and i have a filter on our faucet too, but i've become increasingly wary of refilling plastic bottles--that was our old solution to limiting bottled water which we had for convenience).

i guess i'm lucky, my hubbie is the dishwasher in the family :) (though sometimes we do use our dishwasher because it's efficient and actually uses LESS than handwashing). we live in a suburb with TERRIBLE mass transit. the only reason having one car works (well, most of the time) is that hubbie has a friend that drives him to work (he pays for the gas). this is a wonderful arrangement, typically, but once we have a baby, hubbie worries about either one of us being "stranded." i'm not as worried because his job is VERY flexible, and i'm sure if he had the car one day (coworker traveling or somethign) and i needed it- he could come get me. if it was a true emergency, i wouldn't really be driving anyhow... i don't know. we saved for the car, and i see the usefullness and even occasional neccesity-- it just seems like a big expense and it hurts my little "less is more" heart!

i'm totally with you on the wood toys... and not just for earth related reasons.. my mom was commenting the other day on how every one of my nephew's toys makes noise or lights up or both! he has lots of trouble sleeping and settling down. part of this is probably natural, he simply has a higher activity level than other babies-- he's never needed as much sleep. but part of it could be due to "overstimulation" --we've seen this in the neices and nephews on the other side of the family. my background is in developmental psychology and i really think that gentler toys leave more scope for the imagination. it's so important for kids to discover things on their own, and sometimes the high-tech toys simply DO TOO MUCH for the child. i'm sure i'll cave a little on this issue... my nephew does have a couple toys that are AWESOME (and , um, plastic)-- one is a ball popper... he's loved that for a very long time!

do you knit at all? it's one of my hobbies, and i'll probably knit some stuffies for the kids. it's time consuming,but i can control the materials that way. my DH loves stuffed animals...so i don't know if i can keep up with the demand! i've also knit a couple wool wraps for diapers... this was a little trickier than say, knitting a blanket, or even a sweater or hat, because the fit issues are so important. i decided to go with wraps instead of soakers because they are more adjustable. i have NO IDEA how these wraps will work with prefolds...but i'm excited to try them. much cheaper than order woal soakers online.

sorry to go on so much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast