maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone try the "cold" pullups?

This is in advance thinking, but Dh and I were going to try for PTing Dora sometime in late March, after we get back from a trip. For the moment doing training pants isn't a great option because we only have a laundry room which is a hike a way (we only do laundry once a week and Dh does it), so no solutions for poopy pants and such. I was thinking about pullups, but seeing from some threads that they don't absorb much. I was wondering about the pullups I've heard about that are supposed to get cold when they're wet? Has anyone tried them, and does that feature work? Does it make it more effective in term of discomfort for the kid?

Also, I'm wondering how did you all get started? We have a little potty, and Dora likes to pull it out and sit on it (with clothes on) when she sees me using the bathroom. Sometimes before a bath she pulls it out, then changes her mind. I don't know how to get her motivated to sit on the potty at regular intervals (Lisa Gatorsmom mentioned every half hour). And she isn't going to daycare or preschool so no peer pressure there.

Any ideas welcomed. She'll be 2.5 April 1st.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have a boy, so a bit different. But, pullups were diapers. They did nothing. He didn't care about cold or color changes or anything. Naked was what worked for us.
    Kris

Ditto on going naked. Pullups=diapers.

The book Diaper Free by Age 3 has some great ideas for low-pressure PTing, if you can get over the fact that it makes you feel like a dope for not starting PTing at 6 mos old. We're just getting started, but we let DS go naked as much as possible, and put him on the potty when he wakes up in the morning and after naps, after meals, and before bed. He doesn't always make a deposit, but he doesn't mind the potty, and in fact enjoys sitting on it because he gets our undivided attention and as many books as he wants while he's on it.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Wow, what do you do about accidents? I mean, we have carpeting in the whole place except kitchen and bath, and we're renting. Also, if your kid is going naked a lot, I assume you don't go anywhere for a while?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

We haven't had too many accidents - DS will pee in underwear, but will not pee naked, unless on the potty and being encouraged. That, and if he makes the slightest move toward peeing, we're right there with the little potty.

And yes, we only do this around the house. Generally not all day, since a)I WOTH and he goes to daycare and b)who wants to be stuck in the house all the time.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We pretty much stayed home for a week. Really, after the first day, there wasn't too many accidents. It was so much easier for him to figure out what was going on with the visual and the feel that he quickly got it.

It did take some work getting him into underwear and pants and out of the house. But, he'd just run around naked at home for a long time.

We have carpet everywhere, too. I did my best to stay on top of him and didn't just let him go off and play on his own, so that if he did have an accident, it got cleaned right away.

I did put him in underwear when I thought he'd poop, because that took a bit longer. The underwear caught it at least.
    Kris

DD needed pullups for daycare, and we tried quite a few brands. There were a lot of leaks around the legs from many of the brands we tried, and we settled on Huggies, which didn't seem to leak.

I bought the cool alert ones hoping she would feel more uncomfortable, and even if she didn't tell me she had to go prior to wetting herself, she'd get better at telling me she went after and stop avoiding diaper changes.

Not a chance. She didn't seem any more uncomfy in them than any other ones for pee. Luckily, she wanted panties not long after that.

One thing is that because they don't pull urine away from the skin quite as well as normal diapers (wanting them to "feel it") they do get diaper rash if you don't change them immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by emilys_mom

One thing is that because they don't pull urine away from the skin quite as well as normal diapers (wanting them to "feel it") they do get diaper rash if you don't change them immediately.
    oh, good to know, thanks!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Cold pullups did nothing for us. DD didn't seem to notice a difference between them and the regular ones.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The "cool alert" pull-ups didn't help my son at all. They did leave a gel-like residue on his skin. (It's sorbitol, so it is harmless and it was more annoying to me than to him.)

We used cloth training pants or thick underwear during the day with pull-ups at night.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong