Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Who will admit to putting their baby on their belly to sleep?

And at what age did you start? The twins have been soooo fussy in the evenings and it started early today. So, I noticed they both calmed down when I held them in a football hold facedown. They both fell asleep. So I transfered them to the crib and laid them on their bellies. And MIRACLE OF MIRACLES- THEY STAYED ASLEEP! Now, I am very, very aware of the risk of SIDs so I stayed there watching them for the 20 minutes they were down before I turned them over and they started screaming again. Mind you, I've tried EVERYTHING to get them to not be so fussy. But I have to admit I really enjoyed that 20 minutes of peace today.

I probably won't do this again until they are old enough to roll over easily by themselves (because I'd constantly be worried about them) but I just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this or does this?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

As a mommy with 3 babies with terrible reflux I will admit to putting my kids to sleep on their tummies. Well...with Jackson I kept him on his back for several miserable months but I didn't hesitate with Tyler. I tried everything with him...the special reflux wedge, the amby hammock, side sleeping and nothing worked. Finally I went out and bought the Angel Care monitor and put him on his tummy. I know you are not technically supposed to use it for those reasons but we did and it was fabulous! Worth every penny we spent on it!

FWIW out ped and GI also did recommend tummy sleeping for the kids because they were so miserable so that eased my mind a little as well.

Sorry you are having such a tough time. Hang in there mama!
    ~Tara~
    Proud Mommy to
    Jackson 11/02
    Tyler 6/05
    Jaci 8/06

I did with dd from two weeks. She slept much better.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I think we started around 6 -8 weeks or so? Maybe even earlier...

I'll admit to it. Actually I remember a pretty long thread about this a couple years ago, around when my DD was born. It was here in the lounge, if you want to look for it. There were a lot of mamas here who let their babies sleep on their tummies.

Anyway, DD was the worst sleeper, and we ended up co-sleeping out of necessity (as in, it was necessary for me to get *some* sleep, and that was the only way I could get it!). I tried to keep her on her back or side for awhile, but she was really strong from the beginning, and could easily turn her head from side to side as a NB when laying on her tummy. She started rolling over at three months I think? But I had let her sleep on her tummy before that milestone. We did weigh the risks of SIDS a lot, and decided that for us, since we had no other risk factors, the risk was very small. She wouldn't stay asleep on her back until after she turned one, and she almost never falls asleep on her back even now. Can't say I blame her too much, as I hate sleeping on my back too! *hug* You aren't alone, Lisa!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

I'll admit it too! ) But all my kids had very strong necks when they were babies. I didn't do it until they were able to turn their heads and lift up on their own.

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did do it at some point prior to when she could roll over, can't remember when...it's all a blur right now. I know I did wait until she had enough neck control to be able to turn her head herself.

We did have some luck with using rolled blankets to prop her on her side, and she did sleep better that way than on her back. She hated being swaddled, so sleeping on her back just never worked well for us.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I will vote 3 times. All were a couple weeks ( 4 -7). All 3 slept so much better on their tummies
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 was the same as you describe - would not sleep on his back, etc. We stuck through until he could roll.

With DS2 I discovered the miracle of swaddling and he slept very well on his back until he was busting out of the swaddle and then shortly after he learned to roll.

DS3 was similar except we had a Miracle Blanket and he was swaddled until about 6 months and rolling (I even made a larger version of the MB to keep him contained because it worked so well).
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Me! I started them on their tummies around 6 weeks. With my first, my MIL came over one afternoon to give me a break b/c I was super sick. I came downstairs and she had the baby on his stomach and I almost fainted. He slept for 3 hours straight (and had been a horrible sleeper) and I was a convert.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast