Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

DS colors & writes left, bats left, throws right, golfs right (DH bought righty clubs 'cause apparently there's not much selection for lefties), points with both, eats with both (silverware and fingerfoods), and plays with toys fairly equally with both.

He's been 55-45 lefty-righty for a good long while (since before he was 2 unless I'm misremembering). He used to write with both hands, but seems (at 4) to have settled on the left. He may end up as a lefty with righty tendencies
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS1 is left-handed, very clearly so. DD is not yet 3 and seems to use her left hand exclusively as well. It could be because she's following her older brother, but I'm inclined to think that she's just left-handed.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

DS is 2, and shows a preference for his right hand. However, he's always been a thumbsucker, and sucks his left thumb. As he's started sucking his thumb less, he's started doing more and more with his left hand, and can eat with a spoon or fork equally well with either hand. I'm a lefty, but can do many things equally well or better with my right hand - I eat with either, cut righty, can write (very sloppily, and I only do it when absolutely necessary) with my right hand, play tennis and ping pong lefty, shoot lefty, golf righty, etc. I think DS may be opposite to me - mostly righty, but with the ability to do a lot of things lefty. Time will tell, I guess.

My mom says I was a lefty from about 2-ish. I know I had a strong lefty preference by the time I started kindergarten at age 4.5.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the responses. It's good to see that some other kids are undecided at this age as well.

Since DS is an only child, I often find it hard to know what is typical for his age and what is part of his disorder. I also get conflicting info from the school OT and the private OT. So it's always great to see what other people's kids are doing.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2